Reparations

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

Reparations

Post by Leisher »

Amazing we didn't already have a thread discussing them.

A bill has been introduced asking the government to study giving out reparations.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Reparations

Post by TheCatt »

I don't love the idea of reparations, per se, but there's definitely lasting economic harm from hundreds of years of institutional prejudice

It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Reparations

Post by Leisher »

Only the truly racist and/or ignorant would argue slavery and segregation didn't do damage.

However, handing out checks to select people isn't going to cure racism or fix the damage. It's going to make it worse.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

Reparations

Post by Vince »

I'd argue that "The Great Society" programs have caused a more negative direct impact on the black community in the last 20 years than lasting adverse effects of slavery.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Reparations

Post by Leisher »

There are a lot of people who agree with you, including black scholars.

Many consider the policies related to helping black people, or any poor for that matter, as a new form of slavery.
Leisher
Site Admin

Reparations

Post by Leisher »

Article detailing how the Irish were also slaves here.

This is one of those facts that people don't like to discuss. Will they be getting reparations as well? Will the slave owners in Africa be paying part of the reparations? Or are we going to pretend they don't exist as well?
TheCatt wrote: I don't love the idea of reparations, per se, but there's definitely lasting economic harm from hundreds of years of institutional prejudice
Wanted to circle back around to this comment. These questions come from a genuine place of curiosity and knowing that it's impossible to truly know the answers, but let's say slaves from Africa were never sent to the U.S.:
1. What would the U.S. look like today?
2. What would Africa look like?
3. Would the descendants of slaves have worse, better, or the same lifestyles and rights?

Apply the same discussion to Irish and Asian slaves. History is full of absolute horrors, but if they led to someone being happy now, was it worth it?