Virginia

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

Virginia

Post by Leisher »

Let's just give it a thread until it's all resolved...

So the governor is a racist, but refuses to resign.

The Lt. governor is accused of sexual assault, and CNN has a headline piece wondering why Dems aren't calling for his resignation.

I've heard the third in command is in trouble to, but I'm not sure why?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Virginia

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I've heard the third in command is in trouble to, but I'm not sure why?
Also racist.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Virginia

Post by Leisher »

Holy shit! What are the odds the #1 and number #3 guys in your state have done blackface.

Hilarious.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Virginia

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Holy shit! What are the odds the #1 and number #3 guys in your state have done blackface.

Hilarious.
That's just how life was in the 80s and before?
Cakedaddy

Virginia

Post by Cakedaddy »

Things that used to be ok are now racist. Ask the NAAColoredP and the United NEGRO College Fund. Try calling a black person colored or a negro now.

Now, I think black face was ALWAYS racist. However, I think there can be instances where racism can be done in a non-offensive way. For example, most comedians. Hell, look at Chris Rock. Most racist comedian out there. But it's ok because it's against white people (or because he's black). But it's also ok because most of it (I do think he's a bit racist) is meant as a joke. I can take a joke. Most people can't.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Virginia

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: Now, I think black face was ALWAYS racist.
Black face with the exaggerated lips, etc, yes, racist.

Not racist:
Cakedaddy

Virginia

Post by Cakedaddy »

Exactly. I'm also thinking of Fred Armison playing Obama in skits. I believe he colored his skin as well and got shit for it.

This was racist:
hi2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leisher
Site Admin

Virginia

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: For example, most comedians.
I disagree with "most".

Rock, Chapelle, Burr, Segura, Gervais, O'Neal, Hart, Key and Peele, and others are good at walking the line between being racist and poking fun at races.

However, you know how for every 50 cent there's 1000 "rappers" who are nothing more than wannabes who copy styles, bring nothing original to the table, have little talent, and yet still get gigs at local festivals and such? Same with comedians. I haven't heard many white folks do uncomfortable things, but good googly if you ever listen to the no name black comedians (and "big ones" like Kat Williams) most of their act is based on race in a disrespectful way.

Also, serious question:
If blackface was and is racist (and I DO think it is), then why was this not racist?

Cakedaddy

Virginia

Post by Cakedaddy »

Because it was the '80's and people didn't have large sticks up their asses. Plus, it's in the context of comedy.

Yes, it IS racist. He was being very stereotypical in his portrayal of those characters. But I can take a joke and thought his Mr. White skit was awesome. His portrayal of a Jewish man in a ghetto barbershop was one of mimicry and not mockery. Unless I'm racist against Jewish people and didn't notice how racist his portrayal was.

So, ya. Racist. But I don't have a stick up my ass and saw it for the humor it was intending.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Virginia

Post by TheCatt »

The 2nd one was Chappelle right? So 2000s?

But this was funny.
[video][/video]
Cakedaddy

Virginia

Post by Cakedaddy »

Oh, sorry. Black guys in white face all look alike to me.
thibodeaux

Virginia

Post by thibodeaux »

Here's a simple guide to "is it racist?":

Racist == White

Does it make sense now?
thibodeaux

Virginia

Post by thibodeaux »

Code: Select all

Yes        +----------------+      No
              | Are you white? |
       +------+                +---------+
       |      +----------------+         |
       |                                 |
+------v----------+               +------v--------+
|                 |               |               |
|  You're racist! |               |   Not Racist  |
|                 |               |               |
+-----------------+               +---------------+

Cakedaddy

Virginia

Post by Cakedaddy »

I don't think anyone would argue what Dave and Eddie did is not racist. It just doesn't bother White people.
Leisher
Site Admin

Virginia

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: I don't think anyone would argue what Dave and Eddie did is not racist.
To be fair, there are probably a lot of people who would, and the probable justification would be: "Well, you guys did it first."
Cakedaddy

Virginia

Post by Cakedaddy »

Ok, sorry. Smart people. Anyone that would argue what they did was not racist aren't worth debating with because they are crazy. Best you could do would be educate them. But, they won't listen.
Leisher
Site Admin

Virginia

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: But, they won't listen.
I agree with that.

Most of society's division would be solved if people were willing to listen.
Cakedaddy

Virginia

Post by Cakedaddy »

But that might mean admitting they were wrong.
Leisher
Site Admin

Virginia

Post by Leisher »

Plans to impeach Fairfax are on hold.

So you'll impeach the black guy accused of sexual assault, but you aren't doing shit about the two racist white guys?

I wonder how all the black people who vote Dem feel about that?

Oh wait, it's ok because Northam has learned about being "born into white privilege".

Apparently, I'm not white because I didn't get any of this privilege.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Virginia

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Apparently, I'm not white because I didn't get any of this privilege.
This just means you're blind to the privilege you get every day, oppressor.
Leisher wrote: but you aren't doing shit about the two racist white guys?
I'll stick to what I think I said about the GotG guy... The AG/3rd guy's thing wasn't particularly racist, as described, he should be fine. The governor. That was racist, but man, at what point is it actual racism versus tasteless humour?