Virginia

For stuff that is general.
User avatar
Leisher
Site Admin
Posts: 42580
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:17 pm
Contact:

Virginia

Postby Leisher » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:35 am

Let's just give it a thread until it's all resolved...

So the governor is a racist, but refuses to resign.

The Lt. governor is accused of sexual assault, and CNN has a headline piece wondering why Dems aren't calling for his resignation.

I've heard the third in command is in trouble to, but I'm not sure why?
“Nothing quite brings out the zest for life in a person like the thought of their impending death”
― Jhonen Vasquez, Johnny the Homicidal Maniac: Director's Cut

User avatar
TheCatt
Site Admin
Posts: 35038
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 11:15 pm
Location: Cary, NC

Virginia

Postby TheCatt » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:37 am

Leisher wrote:Source of the post I've heard the third in command is in trouble to, but I'm not sure why?

Also racist.
It's not me, it's someone else.

User avatar
Leisher
Site Admin
Posts: 42580
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:17 pm
Contact:

Virginia

Postby Leisher » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:21 am

Holy shit! What are the odds the #1 and number #3 guys in your state have done blackface.

Hilarious.
“Nothing quite brings out the zest for life in a person like the thought of their impending death”
― Jhonen Vasquez, Johnny the Homicidal Maniac: Director's Cut

User avatar
TheCatt
Site Admin
Posts: 35038
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 11:15 pm
Location: Cary, NC

Virginia

Postby TheCatt » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:41 pm

Leisher wrote:Source of the post Holy shit! What are the odds the #1 and number #3 guys in your state have done blackface.

Hilarious.

That's just how life was in the 80s and before?
It's not me, it's someone else.

User avatar
Cakedaddy
Posts: 7053
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 6:52 pm

Virginia

Postby Cakedaddy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:34 pm

Things that used to be ok are now racist. Ask the NAAColoredP and the United NEGRO College Fund. Try calling a black person colored or a negro now.

Now, I think black face was ALWAYS racist. However, I think there can be instances where racism can be done in a non-offensive way. For example, most comedians. Hell, look at Chris Rock. Most racist comedian out there. But it's ok because it's against white people (or because he's black). But it's also ok because most of it (I do think he's a bit racist) is meant as a joke. I can take a joke. Most people can't.

User avatar
TheCatt
Site Admin
Posts: 35038
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 11:15 pm
Location: Cary, NC

Virginia

Postby TheCatt » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:40 pm

Cakedaddy wrote:Source of the post Now, I think black face was ALWAYS racist.

Black face with the exaggerated lips, etc, yes, racist.

Not racist:
Image
It's not me, it's someone else.

User avatar
Cakedaddy
Posts: 7053
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 6:52 pm

Virginia

Postby Cakedaddy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:49 pm

Exactly. I'm also thinking of Fred Armison playing Obama in skits. I believe he colored his skin as well and got shit for it.

This was racist:

hi2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Leisher
Site Admin
Posts: 42580
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:17 pm
Contact:

Virginia

Postby Leisher » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:57 pm

Cakedaddy wrote:Source of the post For example, most comedians.


I disagree with "most".

Rock, Chapelle, Burr, Segura, Gervais, O'Neal, Hart, Key and Peele, and others are good at walking the line between being racist and poking fun at races.

However, you know how for every 50 cent there's 1000 "rappers" who are nothing more than wannabes who copy styles, bring nothing original to the table, have little talent, and yet still get gigs at local festivals and such? Same with comedians. I haven't heard many white folks do uncomfortable things, but good googly if you ever listen to the no name black comedians (and "big ones" like Kat Williams) most of their act is based on race in a disrespectful way.

Also, serious question:
If blackface was and is racist (and I DO think it is), then why was this not racist?
Image

Image
“Nothing quite brings out the zest for life in a person like the thought of their impending death”
― Jhonen Vasquez, Johnny the Homicidal Maniac: Director's Cut

User avatar
Cakedaddy
Posts: 7053
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 6:52 pm

Virginia

Postby Cakedaddy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:08 pm

Because it was the '80's and people didn't have large sticks up their asses. Plus, it's in the context of comedy.

Yes, it IS racist. He was being very stereotypical in his portrayal of those characters. But I can take a joke and thought his Mr. White skit was awesome. His portrayal of a Jewish man in a ghetto barbershop was one of mimicry and not mockery. Unless I'm racist against Jewish people and didn't notice how racist his portrayal was.

So, ya. Racist. But I don't have a stick up my ass and saw it for the humor it was intending.

User avatar
TheCatt
Site Admin
Posts: 35038
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 11:15 pm
Location: Cary, NC

Virginia

Postby TheCatt » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:14 pm

The 2nd one was Chappelle right? So 2000s?

But this was funny.
phpBB [video]
It's not me, it's someone else.

User avatar
Cakedaddy
Posts: 7053
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 6:52 pm

Virginia

Postby Cakedaddy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:16 pm

Oh, sorry. Black guys in white face all look alike to me.

User avatar
thibodeaux
Posts: 7257
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 7:32 pm

Virginia

Postby thibodeaux » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:40 pm

Here's a simple guide to "is it racist?":

Racist == White

Does it make sense now?

User avatar
thibodeaux
Posts: 7257
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 7:32 pm

Virginia

Postby thibodeaux » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:43 pm

Code: Select all

   Yes        +----------------+      No
              | Are you white? |
       +------+                +---------+
       |      +----------------+         |
       |                                 |
+------v----------+               +------v--------+
|                 |               |               |
|  You're racist! |               |   Not Racist  |
|                 |               |               |
+-----------------+               +---------------+


User avatar
Cakedaddy
Posts: 7053
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 6:52 pm

Virginia

Postby Cakedaddy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:52 pm

I don't think anyone would argue what Dave and Eddie did is not racist. It just doesn't bother White people.

User avatar
Leisher
Site Admin
Posts: 42580
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:17 pm
Contact:

Virginia

Postby Leisher » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:53 pm

Cakedaddy wrote:Source of the post I don't think anyone would argue what Dave and Eddie did is not racist.


To be fair, there are probably a lot of people who would, and the probable justification would be: "Well, you guys did it first."
“Nothing quite brings out the zest for life in a person like the thought of their impending death”
― Jhonen Vasquez, Johnny the Homicidal Maniac: Director's Cut

User avatar
Cakedaddy
Posts: 7053
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 6:52 pm

Virginia

Postby Cakedaddy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:59 pm

Ok, sorry. Smart people. Anyone that would argue what they did was not racist aren't worth debating with because they are crazy. Best you could do would be educate them. But, they won't listen.

User avatar
Leisher
Site Admin
Posts: 42580
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:17 pm
Contact:

Virginia

Postby Leisher » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:08 pm

Cakedaddy wrote:Source of the post But, they won't listen.


I agree with that.

Most of society's division would be solved if people were willing to listen.
“Nothing quite brings out the zest for life in a person like the thought of their impending death”
― Jhonen Vasquez, Johnny the Homicidal Maniac: Director's Cut

User avatar
Cakedaddy
Posts: 7053
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 6:52 pm

Virginia

Postby Cakedaddy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:20 pm

But that might mean admitting they were wrong.

User avatar
Leisher
Site Admin
Posts: 42580
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:17 pm
Contact:

Virginia

Postby Leisher » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:07 am

Plans to impeach Fairfax are on hold.

So you'll impeach the black guy accused of sexual assault, but you aren't doing shit about the two racist white guys?

I wonder how all the black people who vote Dem feel about that?

Oh wait, it's ok because Northam has learned about being "born into white privilege".

Apparently, I'm not white because I didn't get any of this privilege.
“Nothing quite brings out the zest for life in a person like the thought of their impending death”
― Jhonen Vasquez, Johnny the Homicidal Maniac: Director's Cut

User avatar
TheCatt
Site Admin
Posts: 35038
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 11:15 pm
Location: Cary, NC

Virginia

Postby TheCatt » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:38 am

Leisher wrote:Source of the post Apparently, I'm not white because I didn't get any of this privilege.

This just means you're blind to the privilege you get every day, oppressor.

Leisher wrote:Source of the post but you aren't doing shit about the two racist white guys?

I'll stick to what I think I said about the GotG guy... The AG/3rd guy's thing wasn't particularly racist, as described, he should be fine. The governor. That was racist, but man, at what point is it actual racism versus tasteless humour?
It's not me, it's someone else.


Return to “General Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests