The Sanity Bit

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Sanity Bit

Post by GORDON »

There's a concept I've been contemplating for a while, and now I'm going to solidify these thoughts in a thread.

I think we need an identifying flag in every person's online interaction that tell everyone else that this person is "undesirable."

If they are known to associate in white supremacy websites, they get flagged. Flat earther, flagged. ISIS, flagged. "All Democrats should be rounded up for reeducation in labor camps," flagged. Etc etc. The crazies.

It would have to be a slight shift in how the internet works. Anonymity is still ok, except at the hardware/connection level. Every person needs to have their own MAC address, as it were, no matter what device they're using to connect. They're free to make as many alternate Reddit profiles as they want, but each time an anonymous name hits "Submit," their post still takes on the user's Undesirable flag. They're free to browse the unflagged-people-internet all they want, and even participate. But, in a completely voluntary move, every other user can choose to ignore all the flagged undesirables. This way, we can filter a lot of the crazy that gets presented in a reasonable matter, and destroy some of that echo chamber affect.

I feel like I'm not presenting this as clearly as I wanted to. I'm just talking about a way to filter the crazies from the typical users' everyday internet interactions. Stop spreading the crazy around, so much. Stop feeding the delusions of people walking the edge.

Also a flag for children under the age of 18. Bunch of kids seeing fucked up shit, out there.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Sanity Bit

Post by TheCatt »

Hey, China.

I mean, part of me agrees with you, but still. Ugh.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Sanity Bit

Post by GORDON »

I still haven't seen any evidence that allowing crazy people to use social media results in anything good.

And they say 1 in 4 people are mentally ill.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Sanity Bit

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: And they say 1 in 4 people are mentally ill.
That feels excessive.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Sanity Bit

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt
Site Admin

The Sanity Bit

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Faulty memory: 1 in 5.

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/statist ... ness.shtml
Only 1 in 25 have serious mental health illness according to that page. I'll agree with you on them.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Sanity Bit

Post by Leisher »

I would just like us to stop governing with the crazies in mind.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

The Sanity Bit

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote:
GORDON wrote: Faulty memory: 1 in 5.

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/statist ... ness.shtml
Only 1 in 25 have serious mental health illness according to that page. I'll agree with you on them.
It's like the first sentence says 1 in 5 have a mental illness. Disagree with the National Institute of Mental Health, not me.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Sanity Bit

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: I would just like us to stop governing with the crazies in mind.
I was thinking in the car this morning, we should be the ones to name this age. In the past you had the Great Awakening, which saw the return of the olde tyme religion. Then you had The Reconstruction, which rebuilt the South after the Civil War.

So what do we call the age that started a few years ago? The Great Realignment (or what is considered allowable to say in public)? The Great Sensitizing? The Snowflakening?
Leisher
Site Admin

The Sanity Bit

Post by Leisher »

The name should have something to do with "Right before" or "and then" because white guilt is starting to be replaced with white anger.

More and more crackers I know, who have never uttered a racist thing, are sick and tired of being labeled racist and evil simply because of the color of their skin. Can you believe it's actually giving them negative feelings about minorities?

Weird how two wrongs are NOT making a right...
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Sanity Bit

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Disagree with the National Institute of Mental Health, not me.
Read the article, they break it down to 'serious' or not serious later. I was literally using your source.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Sanity Bit

Post by GORDON »

So, they say it, but you're discounting what they consider to be mental illness because you don't think it's 'serious' enough?
GORDON
Site Admin

The Sanity Bit

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: The name should have something to do with "Right before" or "and then" because white guilt is starting to be replaced with white anger.
The Permoffend Age

For the permanently offended.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Sanity Bit

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: So, they say it, but you're discounting what they consider to be mental illness because you don't think it's 'serious' enough?
Yes.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Sanity Bit

Post by GORDON »

You should write them a letter and correct them.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Sanity Bit

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: You should write them a letter and correct them.
Correct who? The NIMH is saying what I'm saying.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Sanity Bit

Post by GORDON »

Yes, except that they're not.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Sanity Bit

Post by GORDON »

There must have been a "Psyche!" Somewhere after the opening line of that page, "Nearly one in five Americans suffers from mental illness."
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Sanity Bit

Post by TheCatt »

Maybe you can't read?
GORDON
Site Admin

The Sanity Bit

Post by GORDON »

That's possible. The problem we're having are these, the first couple lines of the article:
Mental illnesses are common in the United States. Nearly one in five U.S. adults lives with a mental illness (44.7 million in 2016). Mental illnesses include many different conditions that vary in degree of severity, ranging from mild to moderate to severe.
Maybe you can share with the group why you think that sentence says something different?

Just to add to my shitstorm of being right,

When you google "what is the rate of mental illness in the US," you get this:
Prevalence of Mental Illness. Approximately 1 in 5 adults in the U.S.—43.8 million, or 18.5%—experiences mental illness in a given year.
Some of the actual results of that search:

John Hopkins:
Mental health disorders account for several of the top causes of disability in established market economies, such as the U.S., worldwide, and include: major depression (also called clinical depression), manic depression (also called bipolar disorder), schizophrenia, and obsessive-compulsive disorder.

An estimated 26% of Americans ages 18 and older -- about 1 in 4 adults -- suffers from a diagnosable mental disorder in a given year.

Many people suffer from more than one mental disorder at a given time. In particular, depressive illnesses tend to co-occur with substance abuse and anxiety disorders.
American Psychological Association:
Adults with any type of mental illness in the past year: 45.1 million. (SAMHSA)
"mentalhealthamerica.net"
Over 44 million American adults have a mental health condition. Since the release of the first State of Mental Health in America report (2015), there has only been a slight decrease in the number of adults who have a mental health condition (from 18.19% to 18.07%)
Maybe they're all referencing that same weird study where 1 in 5 doesn't equal 1 in 5.