Electric Car Thread

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

Coldest morning since getting the car, I saw the "Cold Outside Temperature" warning for the first time, on the dashboard.

When warm, the battery usually goes from 90 miles ---> 60ish miles, after the morning commute. This morning it went down to 44.

Now I'm REALLY glad I installed the faster charger. When we get down to temps in the teens, may only be able to do one of the two daily trips in the electric car. Maybe. We'll see. 44 miles left is still plenty of wiggle room, as long as I can fully charge back up by mid-afternoon.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

Coldest morning yet, 8-10F.

That still wasn't enough to get me to "danger low" temp, on the battery. I understand the battery itself has a small heater, but I don't know when it kicks on. But two temp bars is in the danger zone, and I was at 3.

ANyway, did the morning run. I was ending that commute with 44 miles on the charge, last Fall, when the temps were 40-50. This morning I was <20 miles. Went maybe 5 extra miles, stopping at the grocery store. Had the heater on the entire time, which kills 6-8% of the range.

So.... so far so good. I can deal with this, I should be charged back up before I have to leave again. If it gets much colder/worse, I can just take the truck.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Porsche Taycan Turbo vs Tesla S specs

So the Tesla is just over half price of the Porsche? For more mileage, faster acceleration, and some self-driving?

Hard to get excited about the Taycan at those #s. Although, I bet the finishing + driving is better.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by Leisher »

A smoking hot woman will suck your dick because you own a Porsche. That same woman will laugh at your Tesla.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

Yeah but when you fuck a woman that would suck your dick over a car, you run the risk of finding inside her the lost condom from the guy the day before.

That was a reddit thread too recent to be googlable.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: A smoking hot woman will suck your dick because you own a Porsche. That same woman will laugh at your Tesla.
Hmm. Clearly I need to ask my wife which car I should get :)
Leisher
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Yeah but when you fuck a woman that would suck your dick over a car, you run the risk of finding inside her the lost condom from the guy the day before.

That reddit thread was more than likely started by a single 30 year old guy that drives a Prius and works at Starbucks because he can't find a job with his liberal arts degree.

We all know, for a fucking fact, that sometimes you pay more for the brand. I'm quite certain that you once drove a Camero, you're probably not grocery shopping at Aldi's every time, you don't go to Goodwill to buy your clothes, your PC isn't a Dall (sp was intentional), and so on.

Brand names come with certain expectations. Sometimes it's quality. Sometimes it's service or support. Sometimes it shows a woman that you could be a good provider.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Yeah but when you fuck a woman that would suck your dick over a car, you run the risk of finding inside her the lost condom from the guy the day before.

Ewwwwwwwwwww
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote:

Ewwwwwwwwwww
Yeah it made me gag. The dude described the yellowing glob in the reservoir tip.
Vince

Electric Car Thread

Post by Vince »

Let's be honest, the sound of a high HP petro engine is just more impressive than the almost silent hum of the batteries warming up.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: Let's be honest, the sound of a high HP petro engine is just more impressive than the almost silent hum of the batteries warming up.
Sure... but MAN is that acceleration real
Leisher
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by Leisher »

Anyone want to wager that they will artificially add engine noise as a selling and/or safety point?
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

Vince wrote: Let's be honest, the sound of a high HP petro engine is just more impressive than the almost silent hum of the batteries warming up.
I like how when the windows are open, my car sounds like it has a jet engine. Just a really cool little whistle/hum.

I find myself looking down my nose at cars with exhaust pipes.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Anyone want to wager that they will artificially add engine noise as a selling and/or safety point?
They already do it to many gas engine cars.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... story.html

Also for safety: They're requiring noise: https://mashable.com/article/electric-v ... uirements/
Leisher
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by Leisher »

Bubb Rubb knows what's up.

https://youtu.be/zUXow3d3-b0
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

I'm at 41k miles on my electric car, and I've been curious about when I'm going to lose the first bar of battery life.
Bar 12: 85%
Bar 11: 78.75%
Bar 10: 72.5%
Bar 9: 66.25%
Bar 8: 60%
Bar 7: 53.75%
Bar 6: 47.5%
Bar 5: 41.25%
Bar 4: 35%
According to the little dongle i put on the data port this morning, my battery has 94.96% life. From what I've seen, for 41k miles, that's really great.

So woohoo.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Nice
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

This is so good I almost suspect this thing has had a replacement battery, already, though that would be crazy. Most peeps lose that first bar by now, and I'm not even close.