Electric Car Thread

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

Was thinking about it, and I realized that in the 15 months I've had this car, I haven't put a penny into it, aside from my garage-gas-station that costs me about $3 of electricity every day that I do my 70 mile city commute.

Nissan Leaf rules, all others drool.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Electric cars require. Much less maintenance... until the battery needs replacing.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

correction: my 12v battery died on me about a month ago. Forgot about that. For some reason the Leaf has a regular car battery that starts everything up when you push the "on" button. SO, at four years, that was pretty much end-of-life, anyway. Knew it was coming. So I have spent more than zero dollars on it, if we're being honest.

But it's super nice having zero gasoline and oil change costs.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Tesla sued cuz kid died in a crash

Ummm.
The father of an 18-year-old Florida teen killed when his speeding Tesla slammed into a wall and caught fire is suing the company, saying the crash should have been "entirely survivable."

Police say Barrett Riley and his 18-year-old friend Edgar Monserrat died when Riley lost control of his father's car at 116 mph (187 kph) in May 2018. Another friend was thrown from the car and survived.
Yeah, that's a no.
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

Oy vey.
Vince

Electric Car Thread

Post by Vince »

Grief can make one unreasonable.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Porsche Taycan Turbo vs Tesla S specs

So the Tesla is just over half price of the Porsche? For more mileage, faster acceleration, and some self-driving?

Hard to get excited about the Taycan at those #s. Although, I bet the finishing + driving is better.
Taycan 4S, cheaper than the Turbos, at $103-$110.
The 4S will be available with two battery sizes. The standard 4S starts at $103,800 and comes with a 79.2 kWh battery pack and a pair of electric motors that produce 429 horsepower (320 kW). With the launch control engaged, the horsepower jumps to 522.

Customers who opt for the performance battery plus version of the 4S will shell out at least $110,380 for a vehicle with a 93.4 kWh battery and dual electric motors that can produce up to 563 hp (420 kW).

Both of the 4S models have a top speed of 155 miles per hour and can travel from 0 to 60 mph in 3.8 seconds.
Leisher
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

Not a good idea. I'd use it.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

1. Yes - Although #2 would help solve this. If I can charge in 10 minutes, with convenient options, distance matters less.
2. Infrastructure is the key.
3. Cost is a barrier, but I'd like to see comparisons involving total cost of ownership since maintenance costs are lower (until that battery has to be replaced)
Leisher
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by Leisher »

I think he forgot about battery disposal too. Isn't that an issue?

How much maintenance do electric cars need? Oil changes? Tire rotation (I assume the same)? Spark plugs? Point being, is this going to completely shut down instant oil change places and most mechanics?

Those instant oil change places should get smart and immediately start putting in charging stations. "Charge up and get a car wash for $10!"
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Well, there's no oil and no spark plugs, so....

Tires, indeed
Tesloop has incurred a combined maintenance cost of roughly $19,000 or about $0.05/mile. This cost breaks down to $6,700 for general vehicle repairs and $12,200 for regularly scheduled maintenance. The Model S’ full service record is available here. The record includes comparable estimated costs of running the service with a Lincoln Town Car instead of a Model S or Mercedes GLS class instead of a Model X. Tesloop estimates that a Lincoln Town Car or Mercedes GLS class’ combined maintenance cost to be around $88,500 ($0.22/mile) and $98,900 ($0.25/mile) respectively over 400,000 miles.
Details of the maintenace
Item SUM of Amount
12v Battery Replacement $171
General Maintenance $2,176
Rear Bumper Repairs $1,000
Replace - Front/Rear Brake Pads/Rotors $1,759
Replaced Headlights $2,800
Tire Replacement $4,674
Wheel Alignment $200
Grand Total $12,782
Vince

Electric Car Thread

Post by Vince »

Do we have any estimates as to how much the electric capacity would have to increase to accommodate electric cars going mainstream?
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

I wouldn't guess much. It's just a 220v outlet, like everyone running an electric dryer.

I think solar panels would become standard on new house builds, for cars. It wouldn't take much sunlight to charge a car every day.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: Do we have any estimates as to how much the electric capacity would have to increase to accommodate electric cars going mainstream?
20-50%, plus upgrades in transmission and transformers, etc due to usage pattern changes. But the car change isn't going to happen overnight.
Vince

Electric Car Thread

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote:20-50%, plus upgrades in transmission and transformers, etc due to usage pattern changes. But the car change isn't going to happen overnight.
Wow! If it went up 50%, that would be pretty significant.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote:
TheCatt wrote:20-50%, plus upgrades in transmission and transformers, etc due to usage pattern changes. But the car change isn't going to happen overnight.
Wow! If it went up 50%, that would be pretty significant.
Varies by state/region, etc. so those are regional estimates. I work in the power grid, and it's something we've been talking about for years. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out in the next 10 years or so.
GORDON
Site Admin

Electric Car Thread

Post by GORDON »

Apparently Ohio is going to ding me an extra $200 this year, for registration.

https://www.13abc.com/content/news/Owne ... 21011.html

I'm not paying gas tax so they're going to pretend it's my little compact car tearing up the roads, and not semis.