MidTerm Elections

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

MidTerm Elections

Post by Leisher »

American politics really is Ds vs Rs and nothing else matters.

Wouldn't it be cool if they stopped focusing on one another and instead tried addressing the country's issues?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

MidTerm Elections

Post by TheCatt »

North Dakota voted against legalization of pot. Didn't even realize they were voting on it til last night.

Looks like Missouri + Utah will join the medical marijuana legalization camp.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

MidTerm Elections

Post by TheCatt »

More than 415k people voted in the county in which I live. Around 315k people voted in all of North Dakota.
GORDON
Site Admin

MidTerm Elections

Post by GORDON »

How was the ND pot legalization worded on the ballot? I heard it was obfuscated.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

MidTerm Elections

Post by Leisher »

CNN opinion person, Carrie Sheffield, agrees with me.
America is now at a juncture: will a divided Congress collapse into a vitriolic abyss of presidential House impeachment (and subsequent Senate acquittal), endless House Russia conspiracy theories, subpoenas and baseless investigations? Or will Democrats and Republicans work together to fight the opioid crisis, rein in our deficit and reform our education and criminal justice systems?
If House Democrats choose the former, they will weary the American people and face a similar electoral outcome in 2020 to that of congressional Republicans in 2000 -- losses in both houses -- after they impeached President Bill Clinton. Americans signaled tonight they want a bipartisan Congress, not a polarized one.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

MidTerm Elections

Post by GORDON »

Orange man bad.
TheCatt
Site Admin

MidTerm Elections

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: will Democrats and Republicans work together to fight the opioid crisis, rein in our deficit and reform our education and criminal justice systems
Puh-leeez.
TheCatt
Site Admin

MidTerm Elections

Post by TheCatt »

I feel like maybe Michigan needs to work on education.

Leisher
Site Admin

MidTerm Elections

Post by Leisher »

Billionaire wants Ds to impeach Trump.
He said House Democrats must "stand up for the rule of law" and confront a "lawless" President who is a "threat to the American Constitution and the American people."
That's different from all the other politicians how?
TheCatt
Site Admin

MidTerm Elections

Post by TheCatt »

So, the CLOSEST election I voted in was decided by ~32,000 votes.

The first place candidate got all of those votes. She was running unopposed.

"My vote matters"
TheCatt
Site Admin

MidTerm Elections

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt
Site Admin

MidTerm Elections

Post by TheCatt »

If I ran the world, I'd keep politicians from making stupid statements like this:
CNN has not projected a winner in the race, which could still go to a run-off if Kemp's share of the vote drops below 50%. He is currently at 50.3%, with a lead of nearly 63,000 votes.
"On Tuesday, we earned a clean and convincing victory at the ballot box," Kemp said at a press conference on Thursday morning. "In light of where we are now, this will give public confidence to the certification process. "
or
An African-American gun control advocate making her first run for public office has flipped a long-red House seat that Georgia Republicans held onto just last year in what was then the nation's most expensive congressional race.

"We've sent a strong message to the entire country," Lucy McBath tweeted on Thursday after Rep. Karen Handel conceded.

"Absolutely nothing — no politician & no special interest — is more powerful than a mother on a mission," she said.
But I do appreciate behavior like this
Handel sent a letter to her supporters Thursday, saying that her careful review of the vote count shows she narrowly lost the race.

"It is clear that I came up a bit short," [Handel] said, offering McBath "good thoughts and much prayer for the journey that lies ahead for her."

McBath's margin of victory was narrow enough for Handel to have requested a recount. The Associated Press declared McBath the winner Thursday after Handel conceded.
Leisher
Site Admin

MidTerm Elections

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: CNN has not projected a winner in the race, which could still go to a run-off if Kemp's share of the vote drops below 50%. He is currently at 50.3%, with a lead of nearly 63,000 votes.
"On Tuesday, we earned a clean and convincing victory at the ballot box," Kemp said at a press conference on Thursday morning. "In light of where we are now, this will give public confidence to the certification process. "
Yesterday I flipped a coin. It came up tails. The whole universe agreed that I should eat at Panera.
TheCatt
Site Admin

MidTerm Elections

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: CNN has not projected a winner in the race, which could still go to a run-off if Kemp's share of the vote drops below 50%. He is currently at 50.3%, with a lead of nearly 63,000 votes.
Yesterday I flipped a coin. It came up tails. The whole universe agreed that I should eat at Panera.
Right? I was about to say "Dude, you did BARELY better than a flipped coin"
Leisher
Site Admin

MidTerm Elections

Post by Leisher »

Dem Brenda Snipes is under fire by GOP in Florida.

The article starts off with a few paragraphs about how the GOP is attacking her even though they appointed her, and yada yada. Finally, it gets to a paragraph where it admits, well, their attacks aren't without reason as even Dems accuse her office of being biased and whatnot.

Thanks for being unbiased CNN.

In other news, will new Ds uphold the "Pelosi promise"?

I'm guessing no, but if they do it would go a long way towards proving they're moving forward, and would probably help them in the next elections.
TheCatt
Site Admin

MidTerm Elections

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

MidTerm Elections

Post by Leisher »

Nelson recount hopes diminish.
They have kept a particularly close watch on Broward and Palm Beach counties, where election officials have said the number of overvotes -- when a voter selects too many candidates in one race -- and undervotes -- when a voter selects no candidates in one race -- number in the thousands.
If you don't know how to properly fill out a fucking ballot, you shouldn't be allowed to vote.
GORDON
Site Admin

MidTerm Elections

Post by GORDON »

"I have no preference, fuck both of them" should be a valid option.
TheCatt
Site Admin

MidTerm Elections

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: If you don't know how to properly fill out a fucking ballot, you shouldn't be allowed to vote.
Hmmm. Part of me agrees, but most of me thinks it should be as easy as possible, which isn't quite the case.
Leisher
Site Admin

MidTerm Elections

Post by Leisher »

I don't know what the fuck goes on in Florida, but in Ohio and Michigan you just fill in the circle by the name. I cannot think of an easier system.

Also, all of me thinks a person should be able to provide a current ID when voting.

Just saying if you're fixing one, fix both.