Will/When society (as we know it) end?

For stuff that is general.

Yes, in our lifetimes (~40 years)
No votes
Yes, within a couple more generations after us (~100 years)
50%
Yes, but so far in the future that it's irrelevant.
No votes
Yes, but only as computers take over and we become a utopia.
No votes
No.
50%

Total votes: 2

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I can't remember what made this trigger in my head. Maybe a book I read. Maybe the persistent doom + gloom that people seem to have about out future, yet we keep living.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The question is flawed because of the "as we know it" qualifier. You need to define that further for real answers.

I could easily make the case that people dying of old age 100 years ago wouldn't recognize the world now or find a place in it where they felt comfortable. I could also argue that nursing homes around the country are filled with people who would be glad to tell you how the world outside their windows is unlike the one they knew.

So for now, I voted "no". I think society will continue to churn along with morals and values that bounce back and forth like a rubber band.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: The question is flawed because of the "as we know it" qualifier. You need to define that further for real answers.
I mean some kind of extreme event... 98% of the world gone, or 90%, or moving backwards in technology instead of forwards, etc.

I also had a dream that most of society had been wiped out. Some bitch was making me fill out forms so I could get my "new role" in society. I was not amused.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I'll stick with "no".

Even with terrorism, threats of second civil wars, yada yada I always believe things will be fine. "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

I think people like to get worked up about stuff, but nobody is doing shit. Business as usual will go on until the aliens come or the sun blows up.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I think the biggest change of the last 10 years has been the massive rise in the enabling of the mentally ill.

Back in 2000 I predicted the millennials would be worthless, with the "everybody is special and gets a trophy" way they were raised. But I don't know yet if there will be a tipping point where enough crazy people have a global voice. People pretend Russia "meddling" in elections is going to change anything, because it fits what they want to believe about politics. Nah. It'll be the crazies, feeding more crazy to each other.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."