Confederate Flag

For stuff that is general.

Should the Confederate Flag be generally banned? (outside of history, historical battlegrounds, etc)

Yes
20%
No
80%
Other - Explain
No votes

Total votes: 5

Troy

Confederate Flag

Post by Troy »

Vince wrote: I think the rights of all losers should be violated.
Think how much more tension would exist in sporting events if we just went with the “Aztec” framework for treating the losers. Best Super Bowl ever.
Vince

Confederate Flag

Post by Vince »

Troy wrote:Think how much more tension would exist in sporting events if we just went with the “Aztec” framework for treating the losers. Best Super Bowl ever.
Agreed. Ratings off the charts!
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

Confederate Flag

Post by TheCatt »

A local school district banned controversial symbols from clothing, including the confederate flag.

A bunch of rednecks in town then protested the banning of the confederate flag.

A local chocolate store then made a chalk board sign that said "Burn a confederate flag, get a free chocolate"

He was then inundated with death threats, while supporters of the confederate flag were APPALLED that the chocolatier supported such violence.

So many loser panties in a wad.

These people are worse then progressives.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Confederate Flag

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: A local chocolate store then made a chalk board sign that said "Burn a confederate flag, get a free chocolate"

He was then inundated with death threats
I am constantly told here that speech is free, but it's not free from consequences. How stupid does he/she have to be to think they wouldn't get blowback from such a sign?
TheCatt wrote: These people are worse then progressives.
Who?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Confederate Flag

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Who?
The Confederates.
Leisher wrote: How stupid does he/she have to be to think they wouldn't get blowback from such a sign?
People can't take a joke. But seriously, death threats?
Leisher
Site Admin

Confederate Flag

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: The Confederates.
You need to be careful. I hear they're thisclose to rising again.
TheCatt wrote: People can't take a joke. But seriously, death threats?
Was it a joke? The intent wasn't spelled out in the tidbit I read.

And yeah, death threats. People are fucking insane. Plus, it gets thrown around so much that threatening someone's life is almost a polite greeting these days.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Confederate Flag

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I hear they're this close to rising again.
I used to say that in jest.

Southerners need some symbol that represents the South, but isn't racist. Maybe a flag with a nice beach, iced tea, and a gun? Throw in a pig for good measure.
Leisher
Site Admin

Confederate Flag

Post by Leisher »

As soon as you added the gun, it was racist because "whitey".

Also, why are you in favor of keeping minorities and the poor down by throwing a nice beach in their face?

And way to alienate all the vegetarians and vegans!

Oh yeah, and you pissed off the British!
Vince

Confederate Flag

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: A local school district banned controversial symbols from clothing, including the confederate flag.

A bunch of rednecks in town then protested the banning of the confederate flag.

A local chocolate store then made a chalk board sign that said "Burn a confederate flag, get a free chocolate"

He was then inundated with death threats, while supporters of the confederate flag were APPALLED that the chocolatier supported such violence.

So many loser panties in a wad.

These people are worse then progressives.
Meh... I don't listen to any of it any more. The Betsy Ross flag is racist. Lowering the flag was racist. White robots are racist. The OK gesture is racist. Recognizing Baltimore kind of sucks is racist. Air Conditioning is racist. Wait... no, that was sexist. Who can keep up with the idiocy any more.
Leisher
Site Admin

Confederate Flag

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: Meh... I don't listen to any of it any more. The Betsy Ross flag is racist. Lowering the flag was racist. White robots are racist. The OK gesture is racist. Recognizing Baltimore kind of sucks is racist. Air Conditioning is racist. Wait... no, that was sexist. Who can keep up with the idiocy any more.
The good news is that this "I'm offended" movement has to end at some point because it's literally impossible not to offend or exclude someone in any form of communication to the masses.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Confederate Flag

Post by TheCatt »

I cannot see any argument that the Confederate flag is not racist. I mean, read these if you haven't.
Leisher
Site Admin

Confederate Flag

Post by Leisher »

I didn't even realize this was a thread about that flag.

Words and symbols only have the power that you give them. A lot of folks think the U.S. flag represents evil. Should we ban that as well?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Confederate Flag

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I didn't even realize this was a thread about that flag.

Words and symbols only have the power that you give them. A lot of folks think the U.S. flag represents evil. Should we ban that as well?
Symbols have meanings. If someone has Nazi symbols on their clothes, they are trying to communicate something.
Leisher
Site Admin

Confederate Flag

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Symbols have meanings. If someone has Nazi symbols on their clothes, they are trying to communicate something.
Symbols do have meanings, but again, they only have the power you give them.

That guy with the Nazi symbol on his clothes might be completely unaware of what the symbol means. (Unlikely I know.) However, it's your reaction that gives the symbol power. Like giving someone thumbs up in a different country is like giving them the middle finger.

I really don't give a rat's ass about the Confederate flag, but I am against squashing people's freedom of speech and expression. The more you take it away, the more they want it. Plus, if the crazies want to label themselves so they're easy to spot, why are we stopping them?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Confederate Flag

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I really don't give a rat's ass about the Confederate flag, but I am against squashing people's freedom of speech and expression. The more you take it away, the more they want it. Plus, if the crazies want to label themselves so they're easy to spot, why are we stopping them?
Because these people are causing issues in society? I think Germany was right to ban Nazi symbols.
Leisher
Site Admin

Confederate Flag

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Because these people are causing issues in society?
A lot of people are creating problems using other symbols, why aren't those being banned?
Vince

Confederate Flag

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: I cannot see any argument that the Confederate flag is not racist. I mean, read these if you haven't.
You misunderstand. I don't care anymore.