Moral dilemma

For stuff that is general.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Moral dilemma

Post by TheCatt »

So let's say there's a family that has a cat, and they had the cat along time (13 years). They used to have two cats, but one cat died. Also, they now have small children. The cat has become grumpy, hisses (but not yet bites) at the children, and is a general pain in the ass. Also has some health problems.

What do?
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Moral dilemma

Post by GORDON »

13 is a pretty good life span for a cat. It may be time to retire to that one farm where they don't let kids visit.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Moral dilemma

Post by Leisher »

I would go the route Gordon suggests or try to find the cat a new home.

End of the day, kids > the cat. If the cat is potentially going to harm them, it's time for the cat to go. I'm betting you could probably find a shelter of some sort if you were completely against putting it down. Like people do with their elderly family members!
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Moral dilemma

Post by TheCatt »

This was posted on a mom's group my wife is in. She read it to me, and I'm like "that woman just wants some saint to assuage her guilt. Is she married? Why hasn't her husband just 'gotten rid' of that cat yet?"

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being too harsh.
GORDON
Site Admin

Moral dilemma

Post by GORDON »

It is absolutely harsh.

But when you get a little baby animal as a pet, you are signing up for one difficult death, one way or another.
Cakedaddy

Moral dilemma

Post by Cakedaddy »

Strongly disagree with people who get rid of animals when they become more headache than they want. Turning an elderly cat with issues over to a new family is a shitty thing to do to the cat and the people that are taking it. And shelters are over run enough with lazy people dumping their problems on someone else so they don't have to feel the guilt of make a hard decision or living with the responsibility you signed up for when the pet was still cute. If they are posting the question on a message board, they already know the right thing to do. They are just hoping someone tells them what they want to hear to justify doing something shitty. As Gordon said, you signed up for life. And I also don't agree with the kids > pet argument. Teach the kids to respect the pet. If your kids are getting bit, it's because they are doing something they shouldn't. Kids can also be potentially harmed riding a bike, playing sports, swimming in a lake. Do you keep your kids from that stuff too? No. You teach them not to be idiots.
Leisher
Site Admin

Moral dilemma

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Strongly disagree with people who get rid of animals when they become more headache than they want.
Leisher wrote: Like people do with their elderly family members!
Cakedaddy wrote: And I also don't agree with the kids > pet argument. Teach the kids to respect the pet. If your kids are getting bit, it's because they are doing something they shouldn't. Kids can also be potentially harmed riding a bike, playing sports, swimming in a lake. Do you keep your kids from that stuff too? No. You teach them not to be idiots.
You can disagree, but that doesn't make you right.

You can teach a kid to be respectful and treat a pet well, but that doesn't mean the pet won't act up. Pets aren't programs. They are living creatures with their own needs and fears. They can suffer from dementia. If injured, sick, or hurt they can behave viciously even towards a loving and trusted hand.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Moral dilemma

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: If your kids are getting bit, it's because they are doing something they shouldn't.
I think the kids involved here are too young to know better. <4
Cakedaddy wrote: Turning an elderly cat with issues over to a new family is a shitty thing to do to the cat and the people that are taking it. And shelters are over run enough with lazy people dumping their problems on someone else so they don't have to feel the guilt of make a hard decision or living with the responsibility you signed up for when the pet was still cute.
Agreed.
Cakedaddy wrote: Strongly disagree with people who get rid of animals when they become more headache than they want.
There's degrees here. Each of our six rabbits except one got to the too old to fully take care of themselves stage, and we fed them by hand, cleaned them cuz they couldn't either. It was a burden, but not a massive one. I did think "man, life would be easier if they died," and I felt bad, but it was true. There's a point where that hardship is too much, but I couldn't be the one to say where that is for each person.
GORDON
Site Admin

Moral dilemma

Post by GORDON »

For the record, I wasn't implying to rehome it, or give it to a no-kill shelter where it will live in squalor. I meant "take it to that farm where kids aren't allowed to visit," meaning, a painless shot at the vet.

A pet is a pet, it isn't a "until you breath your last, painful, natural breath." When you can help it, you help it. When you can't, you help it along.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Moral dilemma

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: meant "take it to that farm where kids aren't allowed to visit," meaning, a painless shot at the vet.
Right, or bullet to the head or whatnot
GORDON
Site Admin

Moral dilemma

Post by GORDON »

I did the "bullet to the head," once. It's ok if you have the stomach for it. A shot at the vet costs you a hundo, but at least you can pretend it's just sleeping, now.
Vince

Moral dilemma

Post by Vince »

Sometimes decisions on pets are hard. Wife had two dogs and one was dying from cancer. He was the alpha. Outside dogs due to wife's allergies (she has since started shots and new dog is in the house). Old alpha used to go after the retriever once a month or so to reestablish his dominance. As he got sicker, he was doing it more and more. I think he just knew he was sick and felt the need to keep establishing that he was still in charge. It had reached the point where he was doing it almost daily. I told the wife this was no longer fair to either dog and I had him put to sleep.

Sometimes the right thing to do is hard.

Impressed with Gordo doing the "bullet to the head", though.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Moral dilemma

Post by GORDON »

There was a stray cat that was hanging around, eating the other cat's food (cat got outside, and wouldn't come back in... too many field mice to chase). So the inside cat became an outdoor cat, and the stray found a source of food.

And that's fine, that stray cat was chill.

Anyway, one day that "stray" is nursing two very flattened legs, it looks like it got hit by a car. Clearly suffering.

Borrowed a 9, dug a hole, talked sweet to the cat and carried it behind the garage, scratched behind its ears while it looked up at me with trust, and ended it suffering. Had to be done, but it fucked with my head for a couple days. Now that I know I can do it if I *have* to, I'm ok to pay for the shot to avoid the extra guilt.