Bad Economic Predictions

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Yeah, that's a terrible idea.
Never said it was good or bad, but it's an idea. Are you saying that we shouldn't try to get manufacturing jobs back home if we can? What's your counter?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Are you saying that we shouldn't try to get manufacturing jobs back home if we can? What's your counter?
One and Two
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

Those aren't counters, they're links to vague explanations of financial concepts.

With a trade war going on, rampant piracy/spying thanks to Chinese corporations and their government, plus the end to a law that eliminated additional charges on goods shipped from China, isn't now a ripe time for corporations to look here for manufacturing?

Explain why you're against this as I really am interested here.

If you can't be bothered, then take Adam Smith's invisible hand and shove it up your ass. :D
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Those aren't counters, they're links to vague explanations of financial concepts.
Ho. Ly. Fuck. They are literally the underpinning of the most massive economics changes and social benefits of the past few centuries.
Leisher wrote: With a trade war going on, rampant piracy/spying thanks to Chinese corporations and their government, plus the end to a law that eliminated additional charges on goods shipped from China, isn't now a ripe time for corporations to look here for manufacturing?
That's up to them to figure out.
Leisher wrote: Explain why you're against this as I really am interested here.
Free market capitalism, baby.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Ho. Ly. Fuck. They are literally the underpinning of the most massive economics changes and social benefits of the past few centuries.
I know what they are, the Wiki links just annoyed me.
TheCatt wrote: That's up to them to figure out.
And the government can help them. (Wait for the why...)
TheCatt wrote: Free market capitalism, baby.
Because that doesn't exist in this country Mr. Davis.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Because that doesn't exist in this country Mr. Davis
It mostly does.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: Because that doesn't exist in this country Mr. Davis
It mostly does.
But not really. How many "too big to fail" companies have taxpayers paid to save recently?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: How many "too big to fail" companies have taxpayers paid to save recently?
Does recently go back 10 years?
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: How many "too big to fail" companies have taxpayers paid to save recently?
Does recently go back 10 years?
Did the Earth cool "recently"?

Which was more recent? Dinosaurs or warnings about global cooling ending humanity?

Point being, it's relative.

P.S. Anytime you think the government in this country isn't too restrictive on business, consider California.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Economic freedom rankings: https://www.heritage.org/index/ranking

I'd argue any country in the first two categories is mostly capitalistic.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

I don't disagree with you, I just don't think we should run the country as if we're 100% there when we're clearly not.

Let's run the country based on realities, not ideologies.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I don't disagree with you, I just don't think we should run the country as if we're 100% there when we're clearly not.

We're a lot closer to free market capitalism than we are too "implement tariffs on everything to make mfg in US competitive"
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: I don't disagree with you, I just don't think we should run the country as if we're 100% there when we're clearly not.

We're a lot closer to free market capitalism than we are too "implement tariffs on everything to make mfg in US competitive"
True, but like I said, it was just an idea and a quick answer to Gordon.

How would you return manufacturing jobs to the U.S.?
GORDON
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by GORDON »

Cant without killing unions, and reducing the cost of labor. That being said, unions are probably the only thing keeping middle class wages as high as they are, and they aren't that high.

So.

It's a big-picture problem.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: How would you return manufacturing jobs to the U.S.?
I wouldn't, in general. Though part of me feels we need to have some base lest China just fuck us up the ass.
GORDON
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by GORDON »

What little I've seen is that eventually, wages will rise in Asia, too. So that'll address the imbalance, somewhat. After that it's all uneven trade agreements, which it was my understanding that Trump was addressing.

Not that I;m defending him, I don't know enough facts to have a strong opinion. But that's what I heard in a couple places, and anything that means Trump isn't a moron is exactly what wont be reported by the media. So, you know.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

But what about improving conditions to encourage manufacturing to move to Mexico and kill two birds with one stone?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: But what about improving conditions to encourage manufacturing to move to Mexico and kill two birds with one stone?
A decent amt of our mfg is already in Mexico, as well as SE Asian countries that are not China. Like Gordon said, as Chinese wages rise, other countries (Vietnam, etc) get more attractive.
Leisher wrote: But what about improving conditions to encourage manufacturing to move to Mexico and kill two birds with one stone?
I just feel like the market should take care of it.

But, the markets need to be fair. China is not fair.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: China is not fair.
Thus, why I'm ok with being unfair back.

I do agree the market should handle it, but I don't think it will. Corps can influence too much.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

China offers to buy Trump, "boost" imports for 6 years
Chinese officials made the offer during negotiations in Beijing earlier in January, Bloomberg News reported. China would increase its annual import of U.S. goods by a combined value of over $1 trillion, the officials told Bloomberg, which was first to report on the import boost offer.

China pegged its proposal to buy more U.S. goods through 2024 to President Donald Trump’s hopes of being re-elected in 2020, the sources told CNBC.

The U.S. had a trade deficit of $323 billion with China in 2018. This deal would aim to reduce that annual trade difference to $0 by 2024, one of the officials told Bloomberg.
No details here, and China has made plenty of empty promises before. Trump will still call it a win, and not much will actually happen.