Bad Economic Predictions

Post by GORDON »

Again, holy fuck, dude.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by GORDON »

I think the rule of the internet is when you get called Hitler, conversation's over.

Have a great thread, erryone!
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

Advocates doing nothing while 7.7 million people die. Gets offended that someone questions that strategy. Makes sense!
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: ?
Villa - illegal immigrant / Hispanic joke.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: ?
Villa - illegal immigrant / Hispanic joke.
Figured, but was just checking.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

I was about to post that passions are about to get inflamed based on these changes in course... but I was too late.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

I'm not heated in the slightest. I thought the smiley face I put on my comment would have shown that I was having a bit of fun, but I guess not.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

So Catt...

Can the entire economy be "paused"? Can all rent, mortgages, utilities, etc. be effectively stopped with no late fees applied?

Also, if the entire world is going into a recession, shouldn't recovery be quick if we were able to pause, and then unpause?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Can the entire economy be "paused"? Can all rent, mortgages, utilities, etc. be effectively stopped with no late fees applied?
Man, I just don't know. There's so many transactions and dependencies, that my inclination is simply no.
Leisher wrote: Also, if the entire world is going into a recession, shouldn't recovery be quick if we were able to pause, and then unpause?
It depends on how much carnage there is, and what it takes to get things going again. Like for each plane an airline parked, what does it take to make it ready again? What about the staff to do that, what about demand? Will people need to travel as much? I mean... it's super fucking complicated.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

The pork in Pelosi's Covid 19 bill.

That's clearly a right wing site, but damn, if this list is even 50% accurate she's an evil, evil bitch.
GORDON
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by GORDON »

Saw that earlier. The argument I saw was, "She HAS to fill it with that stuff so she can negotiate with the evil republicans. She's playing 4th dimensional chess."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: The pork in Pelosi's Covid 19 bill.

That's clearly a right wing site, but damn, if this list is even 50% accurate she's an evil, evil bitch.
You're mad about the millions she wants to allocate, but not the $500 Billion the Republicans want full control over to spend out as they wish?
GORDON
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by GORDON »

Personally, I haven't seen the republican bill. Who introduced it? What did it say?
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: The pork in Pelosi's Covid 19 bill.

You're mad about the millions she wants to allocate, but not the $500 Billion the Republicans want full control over to spend out as they wish?
I guess you missed me saying "Shocker" when you pointed out previously they were going to hand it over to corporations?

FYI, her wrong isn't ok because they were wrong. They're ALL wrong. Pork is fucking wrong. The fact that each side is playing politics while people are suffering and losing their shit is wrong.

I can only discuss what I see. The left wingers on my twitters aren't as active lately as the right wingers. Right wingers made sure this list was out there. I have yet to see the pork list on the GOP bill. Most of the left wingers are just tweeting Trump stuff and the Texas guy.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: FYI, her wrong isn't ok because they were wrong. They're ALL wrong. Pork is fucking wrong. The fact that each side is playing politics while people are suffering and losing their shit is wrong.
Well, OK...

I dunno, it's all garbage.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

with $250 billion set aside for direct payments to individuals and families, $350 billion in small business loans, $250 billion in unemployment insurance benefits and $500 billion in loans for distressed companies.
Under the plan as it was being negotiated, individuals who earn $75,000 in adjusted gross income or less would get direct payments of $1,200 each, with married couples earning up to $150,000 receiving $2,400 -- and an additional $500 per each child. The payment would scale down by income, phasing out entirely at $99,000 for singles and $198,000 for couples without children.
Troy

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Troy »

No clue what you're supposed to do if you are in the tourism or restaurant industry in the big cities where that only covers rent for half a month.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote: No clue what you're supposed to do if you are in the tourism or restaurant industry in the big cities where that only covers rent for half a month.
I really don't know either.

Here's unemployment guesses for tomorrow morning
NC has 150k claims this week, iirc.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

In an unprecedented expansion of unemployment insurance, the federal government would give jobless workers an extra $600 a week for four months on top of their state benefits, which range from $200 to $550 a week, on average, depending on the state.

In addition, lawmakers want to add up to 13 weeks of extended benefits, which would be fully covered by the federal government. Currently, state unemployment checks last up to between 12 weeks and 28 weeks, depending on the state.
Troy

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Troy »

That's going to have a hefty cost, but it should keep people afloat. I like that much better than more checks send it all directions.