Bad Economic Predictions

For stuff that is general.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wouldn't it be in the best interest of banks to not foreclose on any business?

Wouldn't they want them to succeed?

Or would they prefer double dipping by putting people out of business now, taking their shit, then reselling it to new people that will go into debt when starting businesses, after this is over?
Technically, the latter sounds more profitable, right? But also riskier.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: When people aren't paying back their bank loans, there's theoretically less money for the banks to make new loans. No business loans, no jobs being created. No jobs, no money to pay loans. It's not as straight forward as declaring a payment holiday.
You don't have to declare a payment holiday, but you can certainly not apply interest or fees to money owed for a particular time period.

I know it'd be tougher for smaller banks, but at the end of the rainbow sits companies who have more than enough funds to allow leniency to trickle down. Seems like it would be in their, their customers, and the country's (hell, the world's) best interest to not be dicks right now.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Seems like it would be in their, their customers, and the country's (hell, the world's) best interest to not be dicks right now
There's an argument (creative destruction) that capitalism is best without such safeguards and bailouts, etc. There's also an argument that the individual bank should decide what's best for themselves.

Everything is debatable and has lots of consequences that are often hard to predict.
GORDON
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by GORDON »

No argument. But it's like the common trend right now that "landlords who don't let you skip rent are fucking evil." Those evil landlords also have bills to pay. They probably aren't scrooge mcduck dumping the rent into the money pool, and diving in, 90% of that rent money is already due somewhere else.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

Which further backs up my point about the people at the top. They need to be the ones being lenient right now. They need to set the tone of accepting the situation and not letting people fail.

Otherwise the people might storm their ivory towers.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

Yep. It's bad for my business.
GORDON
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by GORDON »

It makes my EV less economical.

Good thing I'm not charging it up from 20% everyday, though, since schools are closed.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Jobless claims hit 6.6M this week. 9.9M total in two weeks.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

Remember that guy who made his company's minimum age $70k? Update on Gravity Payments seventy thousand dollars (search keywords)
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

We re-fi'd our mortgage to 2.875%, total fees = $700.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Remember that guy who made his company's minimum age $70k? Update on Gravity Payments seventy thousand dollars (search keywords)
It's cool that it's working out for him, but it still proves nothing about the experiment. It only proves that in an isolated case with a good product and a motivated owner it can work.

What happens when the product isn't awesome? The owner isn't interested in risking his own financial future to give his employees more pay? When everyone is doing it and corporations realize they can start charging more for everything to offset their own costs/raises and the cost of living skyrockets so that $70K becomes worth $35K? And so on.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Millenials have had a shitty US economy to deal with. Even worse than the "lost" generation.
GORDON
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by GORDON »

Maybe the economy sucks BECAUSE the millenials are shitty workers, ha ha ha.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

Jobless claims fall.

Economy grew at a record annual rate last quarter, BUT...

Got to love that CNN throws that "but" right in the headline. Can't report even the slightest thing positive about dumb dumb this close to the election!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Jobless claims fall.

Economy grew at a record annual rate last quarter, BUT...

Got to love that CNN throws that "but" right in the headline. Can't report even the slightest thing positive about dumb dumb this close to the election!
Well, to be fair, we're not back to where we were pre-pandemic.

Trump is going around claiming he created 11 million jobs in the past 6 months. Ummm. What about the 22 million lost the month before that?
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Trump is going around claiming he created 11 million jobs in the past 6 months. Ummm. What about the 22 million lost the month before that?
Politicians gonna politician. How about all the anti-Trump ads that talk about how bad the economy is yet don't mention Covid as being a factor, and don't mention where the economy was prior to covid?

They're all fucking assholes.

If your home was on fire and it started to rain, politicians would take credit for the rain.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Yellow counties are half the country's economy. IIrc, counties that Biden won represent 2/3rds of the US economy.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

I always think maps like this are dumb.

How is that all calculated? There has to be a cutoff that skews things to get the results desired. "Dow has their HQ here, so we'll say that's where their money is counted even though it's nothing more than administrative people and all the work is done in the black areas."

Good luck making all that money without the people, market, resources, and so on in the dark areas.

Example: The largest port on the Great Lakes isn't yellow in this map. Call me crazy, but it seems like that'd be kind of important for the GDP, particularly since so much agriculture goes through it. #11 on the Russian nuke list, but not "important" enough to the economy to be yellow here? :D
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Example: The largest port on the Great Lakes isn't yellow in this map. Call me crazy, but it seems like that'd be kind of important for the GDP, particularly since so much agriculture goes through it. #11 on the Russian nuke list, but not "important" enough to the economy to be yellow here?
Take it up with the Bureau.

Largest port in the Great Lakes? Is that like biggest A-cup tits?