Bad Economic Predictions

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: Hey, is it true to do business in China corporations used to have to reveal how they make their products?
*I've heard* that when American products are made in China, at the end of the shift when the "American" managers go home, the next shift starts and the same employees make the Chinese knockoff products on the same assembly line, with the same schematics, and the same technology.

Good times.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Yeah, no one else ever stood up to China, so finally.
I mean, I'm really trying to find the silver linings.

It would be kind of cool if Trump somehow got other nations to join him in standing up to China about intellectual property theft.

Too bad he's him.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: I will say that the one positive about this whole thing is China being called out for allowing the pirate market to flourish there. Every piece of software that cheaters use in games comes from China. I mentioned the illegal streaming services running from there now. And the list goes on...
Absolutely agree. I don't think many are giving that much attention. And I think part of that is Trump's fault. That should be what he pounds on with both fists non-stop. But minus that, the press isn't going to cheer-lead that.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

Saw the story earlier on my phone so I don't have the link, but apparently China offered to reduce the trade surplus by buying a shitload of microchips. Trump also removed South Korea from the tariff list.

Based on this news, the markets were expected to open on a positive as people are less fearful of a trade war now.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

South Korea has partially renegotiated their trade pact with us, and we are "in talks" with China. Positive outcomes with China would be great.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

Honestly, if he proved he knew what he was doing financially, I wouldn't give a fuck if he banged Stormy Daniels on his desk, in the ass, while giving the State of the Union address. He could tweet all he fucking wanted.

The problem is he hasn't proved that yet...
GORDON
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by GORDON »

I have the outsider impression that there wasn't any concession the previous administration wouldn't give to make themselves look good to their frightened, milquetoast base. And my further impression is that Trump operates from the position that he runs the most powerful Nation in the world.

That's just the vibe I perceive.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

I lowered my equity exposure today, Dow around 24,200. Honestly, I think a bunch of sideways is on tap. But it's a crazy hard market to read, with too many variables (Trump, interest rates, Trump again, ...).

It's not like 2007 which was a pretty easy read. Or 2000/2001.

But, if you like valuation measures... this one aint pretty. That being said, 2008/2009 is still in there, so really the number is better (lower) than it shows here.

TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

US 10 year bond hit 3.0% today for the first time since 2014. Continuing rise in yields will depress stock returns.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Unemployment hits 3.9%.. WSJ did a big article about the last time this happened. Hint: not good news

That being said, they were comparing a single event, and the dotcom bust was pretty different from now. I would still expect stocks to be sideways, absent a trade war or strangley exceptional stock news. And interest rates to continue to climb
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

Record job openings.

Apparently signaling a lack of skilled workers.

Remember how recently more people were in school to become lawyers than there were actual lawyers? Maybe that was even worse a stat than we believed?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

The number of workers quitting their jobs rose in March to the highest since 2001. Workers believe they can find better similar or higher-paying jobs elsewhere.
I'm a statistic...
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Yeah, those tax cuts were dumb. But oh well.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: US 10 year bond hit 3.0% today for the first time since 2014. Continuing rise in yields will depress stock returns.
A month later, and only up to 3.08%, and that's because it went up 0.09%.

Sudden moves will make markets react (down 225 pts today), but even Goldman was only calling for 3.6% in 2019, which isn't that dramatically higher for those of you who remember life before the economic collapse.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

10 year's back down to 2.96% today, from a high of 3.10%, iirc within the past week, on news of the NK summit being canceled + possible auto tariffs.
thibodeaux

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by thibodeaux »

was just looking at some charts and started wondering: what are some good *leading* indicators for the economy? A quick google for the wikipedia article:
Interest rate spread (10-year Treasury vs. Federal Funds target) — The interest rate spread is often referred to as the yield curve and implies the expected direction of short-, medium- and long-term interest rates. Changes in the yield curve have been the most accurate predictors of downturns in the economic cycle. This is particularly true when the curve becomes inverted, that is, when the longer-term returns are expected to be less than the short rates.
So...keep us posted on that mkay
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: was just looking at some charts and started wondering: what are some good *leading* indicators for the economy? A quick google for the wikipedia article:
Interest rate spread (10-year Treasury vs. Federal Funds target) — The interest rate spread is often referred to as the yield curve and implies the expected direction of short-, medium- and long-term interest rates. Changes in the yield curve have been the most accurate predictors of downturns in the economic cycle. This is particularly true when the curve becomes inverted, that is, when the longer-term returns are expected to be less than the short rates.
So...keep us posted on that mkay
This indicator is what guided me in selling most of my equities prior to the last recession. BUT we have a giant caveat this time around. We've never had the Fed Reserve holding over $4 Trillion of bonds (as a result of the 08-09 stimulus). Those holdings are still depressing long term yields rates, which might otherwise be 4-5% instead of 3%.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »