Bad Economic Predictions

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: Trying to find the silver lining in these tariffs, which are always a stupid idea, I guess one could say Trump isn't wrong in trying to get China to stop stealing from us. Not just IP either. Most corporate espionage is done by China, which is troubling when you look at their Made in China 2025 plan.
Yes, but are tariffs the answer for that?
I'm going to quote myself:
Leisher wrote: tariffs, which are always a stupid idea
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Right, so....
I guess one could say Trump isn't wrong in trying to get China to stop stealing from us.
tariffs have nothing to do with that. Although, I guess at some point, we wouldn't manufacture stuff there, so it'd be harder to steal.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Vince

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Vince »

Yeah, I really sort of think his cries about IP are just an excuse to enact tariffs. It's one of the few issues he's been consistent in his entire public life.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Right, so....
I guess one could say Trump isn't wrong in trying to get China to stop stealing from us.
tariffs have nothing to do with that. Although, I guess at some point, we wouldn't manufacture stuff there, so it'd be harder to steal.
I don't think you're following what I wrote.

It's important you don't throw out this part:
Leisher wrote:Trying to find the silver lining in these tariffs
I am CLEARLY against the tariffs, but trying to find ANY sort of good in them I then say the rest of the statement.

Point being my opinion is: He's 100% right that China needs to stop stealing IP and pretending they aren't doing anything wrong. He's also 100% wrong that tariffs are the solution.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: He's 100% right that China needs to stop stealing IP and pretending they aren't doing anything wrong. He's also 100% wrong that tariffs are the solution.
Well... yes.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Well, there's no basis (at the moment) for his statements, other than fantasy.

He's not wrong that our debt load is insane. But... no one seems to give a shit at the moment.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

I fixed this statement for you.
TheCatt wrote: But... no one ever seems to give a shit.
GORDON
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by GORDON »

I remember people giving a shit about the deficit under W, but then they forgot it under Obama. I guess no one wants to think about it any more. We've got deficit fatigue.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

The economy is really good right now: https://money.cnn.com/2018/07/25/news/e ... index.html
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Good news
Second-quarter economic growth came in at an annual rate of 4.1%, the government said Friday. That was the best showing since the third quarter of 2014.
Less good news
Economists are generally predicting slower growth in the second half of the year, as the effects of the tax cut wear off and rising interest rates depress consumer spending.

Already announced tariffs are forecast to be only a slight drag on economic growth, unless more are imposed. And it seems that corporate executives are treading carefully, as surveys of business confidence and hiring expectations begin to flag.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

The US economy grew at a 4.1% annual rate in the second quarter of the year, a figure Trump touted as "amazing" and sustainable -- even as economists caution economic growth for the second half of the year will likely be slower.
"These numbers are very, very sustainable -- this isn't a one-time shot," Trump said on Friday, speaking from the South Lawn of the White House.
I'm skeptical.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote:
thibodeaux wrote: So there's at least 6 months lag regardless.
Only until the recession is declared... not until it starts. That being said, historically the recession has followed 6 to 17 months later: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yield_cur ... ield_curve
Why it's different this time (people agreeing with me)
The conventional wisdom surrounding an inverted yield curve stems from two different paths coming together. Investors see longer-term bond yields climbing during strong growth and shorter-term ones rising when monetary policy tightens. When the gap narrow, questions are raised about whether the expansion has run its course.

Several analysts say the recent flattening of the yield curve has mostly been driven by monetary policy and continued growth—and not by fears of an imminent slowdown in expansion.

“The bond market isn’t flashing yellow or red yet,” said Brian Nick, chief investment strategist at Nuveen. “The prevailing story here is still that the U.S. is growing pretty nicely.”
https://www.wsj.com/articles/widely-wat ... 1?mod=e2fb
Vince

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Vince »

Yeah, I think there's a good chance this gets wrecked with all this tariff nonsense.
Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

I'm wondering if there's another huge housing market crash on the horizon. All the baby boomers are going to be dying off or selling to relocate. Meanwhile, millennials can't get jobs or don't want to be home owners.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I'm wondering if there's another huge housing market crash on the horizon. All the baby boomers are going to be dying off or selling to relocate. Meanwhile, millennials can't get jobs or don't want to be home owners.
One of the big influences to the housing market has been the rise of the Asian rich, buying home in North America (and Europe, to a lesser extent). The housing market isn't just local any more.
Vince

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: I'm wondering if there's another huge housing market crash on the horizon. All the baby boomers are going to be dying off or selling to relocate. Meanwhile, millennials can't get jobs or don't want to be home owners.
Also the price of lumber jumping by 30% or so.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Bad Economic Predictions

Post by TheCatt »