The Opioid Crisis

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Opioid Crisis

Post by Leisher »

It's apparently costing us a lot of money.

For fun, let's compare them to guns and drunk drivers.

In 2013, there were 33,636 deaths "related to firearms" in the U.S.
-21,175 of them were suicides. (Meaning these don't count. It's just as easy to take pills, jump off a building, cut your wrists, etc.)
-505 were accidental shootings.
-281 were undetermined.
-11,208 were apparently homicides.
-You've got to love Wikipedia, and how those numbers don't add up. Also, cops shooting people must be under homicides. I remember breaking down these numbers previously, and removing the number of people killed by police drops the number of gun related homicides under 10,000. To be fair, we'll say 10,000.

Drunk drivers kill 10,265 people in the U.S. annually.

Every day in the U.S. 91 people die due to opioid use, which comes out to 33,215 annually.

10,000 by guns and we want them all banned.
10,000 by drunks and we don't want that substance banned, but driving under the influence is already illegal. Weird how people keep doing it...
33,000 by opioid use and I don't see the same outrage as I do over guns.

Why?

Is it because people don't want to give up their pain pills, ala alcohol? Or is it because opioids aren't easy to visualize and "villainize" like guns? Or are the conspiracy theorists right and the efforts to take our guns our a political long game? :D
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

The Opioid Crisis

Post by GORDON »

"Cops killing people" isn't homicide, it's the government performing summary executions.

:-D
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

The Opioid Crisis

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Opioid Crisis

Post by TheCatt »

Somehow that just wants me to keep my unused opiods even more ...
It's not me, it's someone else.
Vince

The Opioid Crisis

Post by Vince »

Anyone want to start a pool on how long before someone cooks the gel from dissolving the pills and shoots it up?
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

The Opioid Crisis

Post by GORDON »

I understand that the appeal of opiods is that it makes the user feel like everything's fine, nothing matters. An escape from stress. Is that right?
Leisher
Site Admin

The Opioid Crisis

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: Anyone want to start a pool on how long before someone cooks the gel from dissolving the pills and shoots it up?
I will take "Before the pills get a chance to turn into a gel" for $800 Alex.
GORDON wrote: I understand that the appeal of opiods is that it makes the user feel like everything's fine, nothing matters. An escape from stress. Is that right?
I have been on morphine and hydromorphine, but didn't experience any "escapes from stress". Just a coma-like existence to help me cope with the physical pain I was experiencing.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Opioid Crisis

Post by GORDON »

I had 3 days of Vicodin once... severe back pain. It eased the sharpness of it so I could move and work that shit out, and made me sleepy. I called them Happy Pills. After 3 days was the closest I've ever felt like, "Wow, more would be nice..." but I gave it 5 seconds of thought, and moved on without giving it another. But I don't know if Vicodin is an opiod.
Vince

The Opioid Crisis

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: I will take "Before the pills get a chance to turn into a gel" for $800 Alex.
And then they'll sue Walmart for having to have their arm amputated.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

The Opioid Crisis

Post by Leisher »

I had zero desire for any opioids once I was released from the hospitals (yes plural) after a week.

I hate taking pain meds. I don't like how they make me feel, and I don't see the point of taking them if I can stand the pain.

I really don't get doing most illegal drugs though. I don't understand the appeal. It's fun to get drunk sometimes, but I don't need to exist in that state to tolerate life.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Opioid Crisis

Post by GORDON »

Perception is reality for dumb people. We now have half the country claiming everything is shit, and it's all Trump's fault. Maybe that's why more people are seeking to numb the pain.

Yes, I am laying the blame for the opioid crisis at the feet of the never TRUMPERS.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Opioid Crisis

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: But I don't know if Vicodin is an opiod.
Yes, it is.

I've taken lots of opiods, almost exclusively after surgeries. I think I got them for my back once or twice, and I take the mildest ones in existence for a permanent knee issue.

They're kinda fun. But the stronger ones I've taken (percocet, I think), made me vomit one of the times, and put me into a repeating 4 hour cycle that was: 30 minutes of fun, 1 hour of OK, 2.5 hours of sleep/tired/mess. My shoulder surgery was terrible. I went through an entire bottle of percocet, then some vicodin. But I never thought "this is fun!" I thought "this is so much better than agony"
Troy

The Opioid Crisis

Post by Troy »

https://www.wsj.com/articles/more-money ... 1571441254

I am in Ohio working on this case in a capacity. How cold is Cleveland going to get in December? I didn't pack enough coats.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Opioid Crisis

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: How cold is Cleveland going to get in December?
By whose standards?

It should get pretty cold and definitely snowy. Cleveland gets a lot of lake effect snow.

However, Jan/Feb is when it gets really bad.
Troy

The Opioid Crisis

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote:
Troy wrote: How cold is Cleveland going to get in December?
By whose standards?

It should get pretty cold and definitely snowy. Cleveland gets a lot of lake effect snow.

However, Jan/Feb is when it gets really bad.
Gross. Its about as cold as I'd like it to be outside right now :)

Need ask my wife to send me my peacoat.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Opioid Crisis

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: Need ask my wife to send me my peacoat.
That's what I wear all winter.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Opioid Crisis

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
Troy wrote: Need ask my wife to send me my peacoat.
That's what I wear all winter.
He's said peacoat, not peecoat.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Opioid Crisis

Post by Leisher »

Nothing warmer than a golden shower.
thibodeaux

The Opioid Crisis

Post by thibodeaux »

I had my tonsils out in Feb. They gave me some opioid (I forget what) for post op pain. I couldn’t tell that it was any better than rotating Tylenol and Advil, so that’s what I did.
Troy

The Opioid Crisis

Post by Troy »

Yeah, I don't think they give out the really addictive stuff like they used to, for good reason.

I got a course 3 years ago for my first ACL tear. Two weeks into the course from my (Atlanta) doctor and I was getting irritable in the morning if I didn't take it promptly. Wild and scary how fast you get dependent.

This year I had the other ACL go, and my (California) doctor gave me another opiod, but it was clearly the toned down version. I didn't even finish the course, it was kind of meh.

I consider this to be a good development.