The 1st Amendment

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

The 1st Amendment

Post by Leisher »

Just some things on my mind about this topic...

Why is the 1st amendment considered so important, but the 2nd amendment is outdated and no longer needed?

Words have killed a LOT more people than guns.

Guns are the only reason people have a 1st amendment.

Does the 1st amendment really apply at your job?

During my company's annual Christmas party they have a prayer. If I refused to stand or be silent for it, would my company be right to be upset with me?

If I'm talking to a male co-worker about a female co-worker's attractiveness, and someone overhears our private conversation I can be written up and/or fired. Why? I'm just exercising my 1st amendment right.

I can be written up or fired for cursing excessively. Why? Again, it's MY right.

Why do I have to wear a uniform or adhere to a dress code? Those things violate my 1st amendment right to express myself however I choose.

Why can't a private business owner refuse service to some organization he doesn't agree with? Isn't that his or her 1st amendment right?

Why is it ok for people to discriminate against right leaning people or religious people, but not LGTBQ, left leaning people, or people of color? (I'm not advocating ANY discrimination. I'm just pointing out that our country's enforcement has been "selective".)

Why would any employee for any company expect to have the right to an action that directly affects their employer's bottom line?

If I worked in the Kroger produce department and constantly toward customers to go to Monett's for fresher and cheaper produce, wouldn't Kroger be right to fire me?

If I wore a shirt that said "Tuck Frump" as an on air news anchor, wouldn't that media outlet be correct in preventing me from doing so?

Point of all this is that I don't understand the "you can't violate their 1st amendment rights" argument when discussing players taking a knee. They're WORKING. This is their job. You don't get to act in whatever way you want at your job, even if you own the company!
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

The 1st Amendment

Post by Vince »

Without looking, can you name the other 4 rights that are protected by the 1st Amendment?
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

The 1st Amendment

Post by Leisher »

Speech, press, religion, assembly, and...

I don’t remember the last one?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

The 1st Amendment

Post by GORDON »

Security of papers, you don't have to house troops in your home
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Vince

The 1st Amendment

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: Speech, press, religion, assembly, and...

I don’t remember the last one?
Made an effort not to look from when I originally posted this. Pretty sure it's the right to petition the government. Could be wrong though.
Vince

The 1st Amendment

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote: Security of papers, you don't have to house troops in your home
Wanting to say that's the 7th. About having to house troops in your home. Forgetting what they call it. Brain fart.
GORDON
Site Admin

The 1st Amendment

Post by GORDON »

...Quartering Act?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Vince

The 1st Amendment

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote: ...Quartering Act?
That's it. Quartering.