The massive divide

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

The massive divide

Post by GORDON »

Group 1 hate nazis, but likes the freedom of speech slightly more, so thinks we need to tolerate nazis practicing free speech.

Group B hates nazis, and likes the freedom of speech, but thinks nazis expressing their hateful message does more harm than good, so they think the nazis should have their freedom of speech rescinded.

WHich group is more like Hitler? Depending on who is speaking, one of these groups is like Hitler.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

The massive divide

Post by Malcolm »

Your 0/1 framing of this doesn't sit well with me. Should we allow freedom of speech so absolutely that we're allowing ISIS to make social media recruiting and bomb-making vids and freely post them? Think of all the future chemists they could inspire.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

The massive divide

Post by GORDON »

Sort of not the point.
Malcolm

The massive divide

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote: Sort of not the point.
Really? The point isn't about absolute free speech versus drawing a line somewhere?
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

The massive divide

Post by GORDON »

No, the point was how little difference there was between the two sides of the debate, and how it is sold as AMERICA DIVIDED by the media, and whomever else.

You know, divisive horseshit.
Vince

The massive divide

Post by Vince »

Actually, group B hates anyone to the right of them and are wanting to use the Nazi label to silence all who disagree with them.

Ben Shapiro is slated to speak at Berkeley this week. The leftists are accusing him of being a white nationalist. Yeah, the orthodox Jew with the yarmulke is a Nazi. Fucking idiots.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

The massive divide

Post by GORDON »

I would agree.with you, to an extent. I think it is the small minority of extremists who truly want to shut everyone up. I think most people.are like me, who can truly understand both sides of the argument... But moderate people lacking outrage don't sell newspapers.
Vince

The massive divide

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote: I would agree.with you, to an extent. I think it is the small minority of extremists who truly want to shut everyone up. I think most people.are like me, who can truly understand both sides of the argument... But moderate people lacking outrage don't sell newspapers.
I agree with that. But a small minority of people that are behaving like Antifa and promoting violence can cause a reaction from public officials disproportionate to their numbers. And that's what they're counting on. It's the toddler maneuver. Throw a fit until I get my way.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren