Puerto Rico

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

Puerto Rico

Post by GORDON »

If you live your life reliant on someone else supplying you with food, you've fucked yourself over.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Puerto Rico

Post by TheCatt »

But we gave them billions and everything is fine.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Puerto Rico

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: If you live your life reliant on someone else supplying you with food, you've fucked yourself over.
I was unaware you hunted + grew all of your own food.
Leisher
Site Admin

Puerto Rico

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: But we gave them billions and everything is fine.
But we gave them billions and everything SHOULD BE fine. This story is about FEMA's failure to hire vendors that can get the job done, specifically in delivering food.

Why Puerto Rico still has no drinking water or electricity in some parts is a whole different story.
TheCatt wrote: I was unaware you hunted + grew all of your own food.
Vince probably leads the self sufficiency train here, but I think Gordon is #2.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Puerto Rico

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Vince probably leads the self sufficiency train here, but I think Gordon is #2.
I'm not talking to Vince :)

I know Gordon has eggs, but that's a long way from self sufficiency. Modern economics tells us that self sufficiency is basically dumb. Earn your wage doing the thing you do best, rely on others to grow/farm/whatever. That's how the vast majority of Americans live. But if something blows up all the ports, and roads, those same people are pretty fucked.
Leisher
Site Admin

Puerto Rico

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: But if something blows up all the ports, and roads, those same people are pretty fucked.
Eh, I have guns and I assume Gordon does too. I think that gives us as good a chance at surviving as the folks who are self sufficient.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Puerto Rico

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: But if something blows up all the ports, and roads, those same people are pretty fucked.
Eh, I have guns and I assume Gordon does too. I think that gives us as good a chance at surviving as the folks who are self sufficient.
Briefly.
Leisher
Site Admin

Puerto Rico

Post by Leisher »

Long enough to read a book on farming.
GORDON
Site Admin

Puerto Rico

Post by GORDON »

I don't think catt knows me at all.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Puerto Rico

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I don't think catt knows me at all.
I'm just saying for most people we live in an interconnected economy, where people specialize and are deeply susceptible to supply chain disruptions.

Maybe you kill deer every week and I just don't know. I know you grow some stuff and have the chickens, etc, but it was my impression that was not your main source of food.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Puerto Rico

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON
Site Admin

Puerto Rico

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote:
GORDON wrote: I don't think catt knows me at all.
I'm just saying for most people we live in an interconnected economy, where people specialize and are deeply susceptible to supply chain disruptions.

Maybe you kill deer every week and I just don't know. I know you grow some stuff and have the chickens, etc, but it was my impression that was not your main source of food.
Of course it isn't my main source of food. I don't have the desire to spend 75% of my time procuring food.

But, I've spent the last decade teaching myself to be self sufficient. I know how to grow crops, grow protein, eat off the landscape. My property is covered in fruit trees and edible plants... I don't do flowers, I do food disguised as flowers. I even put the excess pumpkins that I grow every year in a place where they will freeze, but not rot. Emergency food supply, over the winter. I buy an extra $20 worth of vegetable seeds every year, in case of emergency and there aren't any available next year.

I have enough calories stored in my basement to last me and mine far beyond when we'll have 50% starvation die-off, when the cities empty out and go out to the countryside looking for food, and I have guns for that.

When you see people stranded on their roofs in a flood, helpless "men" huddling with the women and children who relied on them for safety, when they had 3 days of warning that the hurricane was coming.... these are the people conditioned to relying on someone else to save them. They fucked themselves over. They chose to be victims. I can't relate to that.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Puerto Rico

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I have enough calories stored in my basement to last me and mine far beyond when we'll have 50% starvation die-off, when the cities empty out and go out to the countryside looking for food, and I have guns for that.
I apologize. I did not realize video game boxes were edible :)
GORDON
Site Admin

Puerto Rico

Post by GORDON »

Well, to be fair, the first to go will be the diabetics, and people kept alive only by modern medicine. I included them in the 50% die-off.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Puerto Rico

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Well, to be fair, the first to go will be the diabetics, and people kept alive only by modern medicine. I included them in the 50% die-off.
Yeah, I read a book a year or two ago about all the fun stuff that would happen were EMPs as realistic as people fear. Diabetics die pretty quickly.

Would you eat a dead diabetic?
GORDON
Site Admin

Puerto Rico

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote:
GORDON wrote: Well, to be fair, the first to go will be the diabetics, and people kept alive only by modern medicine. I included them in the 50% die-off.
Yeah, I read a book a year or two ago about all the fun stuff that would happen were EMPs as realistic as people fear. Diabetics die pretty quickly.

Would you eat a dead diabetic?
I bet the flesh would be pretty sweet.

One Second After?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Puerto Rico

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: One Second After?
Yep, that's the one. Pretty depressing.
GORDON
Site Admin

Puerto Rico

Post by GORDON »

Very. I reviewed it on this forum a while back. I remember there were grammar mistakes.
Leisher
Site Admin

Puerto Rico

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Puerto Rico

Post by Leisher »

Hundreds of thousands shutting down the country to protest the governor and demand his resignation.
Why they're protesting: They want Gov. Ricardo Rosselló to resign after Puerto Rico's Center for Investigative Journalism published a series of profanity-laced, homophobic and misogynistic messages between Rosselló and other members of his inner circle.
How many people on the left do you think are thinking "we should do this here!"?