The MSM (Main Stream Media)

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by Leisher »

Dear HuffPo,

You can't pretend to be a real news outlet, yet publish a story with a headline featuring something Trump did followed by the words "and it backfired spectacularly" every two days.

At the very least, stop pretending to be an unbiased media outlet. Then you can do whatever the fuck you want.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote:
Maybe he should molest some women?
It's not me, it's someone else.
Vince

The MSM

Post by Vince »

"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by Leisher »

Anderson Cooper says "bigots can be elected" because of Roy Moore's comments on Muslims.

First of all, that's hardly the worst thing Roy Moore has done...

Secondly, why don't people on the left, or right for that matter, understand that bigotry isn't just about race, religion, and/or sexual orientation? Point being, he is the pot calling the kettle black.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Secondly, why don't people on the left, or right for that matter, understand that bigotry isn't just about race, religion, and/or sexual orientation? Point being, he is the pot calling the kettle black.
Person A: All black people should be killed
Person B: Racist.

Leisher: See how they're both bad?
Leisher
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by Leisher »

Roy Moore: Muslims shouldn't serve in Congress because of their faith. (If we're being honest, the Islamic faith and what's in the Constitution don't really match up that well.)

Catt: I translate that to "All black people should be killed."
TheCatt
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Roy Moore: Muslims shouldn't serve in Congress because of their faith. (If we're being honest, the Islamic faith and what's in the Constitution don't really match up that well.)

Catt: I translate that to "All black people should be killed."
There is no basis for your parenthetical. We already had at least one Muslim in Congress, (or have had), and guess what - He followed the laws of the nation, cuz, you know, he's American. Many flavors of Christianity don't match up with the Constitution either, but guess what, we have plenty of Christians in Congress. Same with Jews. Your argument is terrible and baseless and offensive.

I went extreme, but still, Cooper was calling a spade a spade, not pot/kettle.
Vince

The MSM

Post by Vince »

Glad I'm not in Alabama. Would have to sit that one out as well.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by Leisher »

Let's be fair. Suggesting a man's statement about a faith not matching the same ideals of a government is the same as wanting all people of one race murdered is terrible and baseless and offensive.

Ditto for implying what I said was ANY different than what you said in response. I simply stated a fact. I made NO argument. The exact same fact you stated, you just changed the faith.

You're also trying to rewrite history here. At no point in my original statement did I say anything about Cooper's statement being wrong. I was simply pointing out that folks like him shouldn't throw stones.

You added the intent in both cases.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: At no point in my original statement did I say anything about Cooper's statement being wrong. I was simply pointing out that folks like him shouldn't throw stones.
How does your statement not include intent? And, the notion that calling out a bigot = bigotry is absurd.
Leisher
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:How does your statement not include intent? And, the notion that calling out a bigot = bigotry is absurd.
Because when I read that story the very first image in my head was of the woman on CNN crying when Trump won. I had just finished posting a story about Trump and this Wikileaks hacked email thing and was reminded that CNN is going after him for this with both barrels, yet we know Hillary rigged the primaries and nobody at CNN gives a shit. (Seriously, which one of those actions resulted in President Trump? Hint: It wasn't emails.) Because I go to the CNN site daily and see story after story and opinion piece after opinion piece telling me that anyone that doesn't think exactly like them is a racist, sexist, ageist, homophobic, ignorant bigot. Or, you know, a Republican or Tea Party supporter or Trump voter...

(Side note: FOX News is the same shit. Just packaged for a different audience. So don't think I'm just bashing CNN. After all, I started this thread about the "MSM", not CNN.)

Because I just read a story about John Lewis refusing to even engage Trump over race issues. (And I don't think he's necessarily wrong as my post states.) The biggest issue about it in my mind is the complete lack of conversation. This part right here infuriates me.

And that's where I have a problem with Cooper in this instance. Call out your own folks. Call them bigots for condemning half of all Americans simply because they don't live on a coast or because they vote for non-Dems or because they own a gun and that list goes on, as you know.

Perhaps instead of calling Moore a bigot, Cooper should have focused on the fucking pedophile accusations! That is a far bigger issue to me than Moore not thinking a Muslim can serve in Congress because of conflicts with faith.

(Makes me wonder why CNN isn't breaking all the stories of pedophilia in Hollywood since they have such close connections there.)

It really was the "bigot" that got under my skin. Had he simply stated he was ignorant, it would have gone right by me. And I'm not defending Roy Moore in the slightest. He can go to hell and rot.

I'm defending conversation and differing opinions. Educate. Discuss. Stop the name calling. (*cough*Catt*cough*)

I'll admit that I understand how you could take away what you did. Perhaps I didn't frame my statement well enough and you certainly couldn't know my thinking and intent. However, you should know better and you should have asked to confirm what you believed to be my intent. Instead you threw shade. You became Malcolm. (Sorry, that was meant for levity.)

For the record, I have no issue with a Muslim, or anyone of a differing faith, in Congress or anywhere. If they held a majority, I'd be concerned as a non-Muslim. However, I get where a southern man, who I assume has a Christian faith, would immediately jump to the extreme. That's where Cooper can't be bigoted in his response. That's not reporting. That's just name calling.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: You became Malcolm
I mean, there's name'-calling... and then there's... this.
Leisher wrote: That's where Cooper can't be bigoted in his response. That's not reporting. That's just name calling.
1) He's not wrong. 2) I honestly have no idea where the line between news and commentary is anymore on those 24-hour stations.
Leisher
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: I mean, there's name'-calling... and then there's... this.
I apologized in my post! (You haven't yet...)
TheCatt wrote: 1) He's not wrong.
Never said he was, something else I pointed out.
TheCatt wrote: 2) I honestly have no idea where the line between news and commentary is anymore on those 24-hour stations.
Exactly. That's such a huge problem. I realize most news sites put "Opinion" on their opinion pieces, but I'm not sure they belong on these sites. Certainly not on the front page in the headline news.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: (You haven't yet...)
Who are you, my wife? :)
Leisher
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
I mean, romance me first.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote:
I mean, romance me first.
I never bother with her, why start with you?
TheCatt
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: I never bother with her, why start with you?
Admitting when we're wrong is what sets us apart from the Malcolms and the Trumps and the Clooneys.

Also, what angle did Fox take on the rabbit? If there's a legit reason, I'll forgive them. Otherwise, that is hilarious.

Shit I just realized the second one isn't very positive either. Which way does that publication lean?
TheCatt
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: I never bother with her, why start with you?
Admitting when we're wrong is what sets us apart from the Malcolms and the Trumps and the Clooneys.

Also, what angle did Fox take on the rabbit? If there's a legit reason, I'll forgive them. Otherwise, that is hilarious.

Shit I just realized the second one isn't very positive either. Which way does that publication lean?
This implies they are pretty centrist.
New York Times journalist Alan Feuer said the Daily News focuses heavily on "deep sourcing and doorstep reporting", providing city-centered "crime reportage and hard-hitting coverage of public issues [...] rather than portraying New York through the partisan divide between liberals and conservatives".[1] According to Feuer, the paper is known for "speaking to and for the city’s working class" and for "its crusades against municipal misconduct".[1]
The New York Times has described the Daily News's editorial stance as "flexibly centrist"[1] with a "high-minded, if populist, legacy".[9] The News endorsed Republican George W. Bush in the 2004 presidential election,[10] Democrat Barack Obama in 2008,[11] Republican Mitt Romney in 2012,[12] and Democrat Hillary Clinton in 2016.[13]
TheCatt
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Admitting when we're wrong is what sets us apart from the Malcolms and the Trumps and the Clooneys.
Apparently I'm more Trump than I realized. My wife and I literally had this discussion last night about how I apparently never admit I'm wrong. Me: How can I admit something that doesn't happen? :)

It was a playful/fun conversation, fortunately, no knives.