The MSM (Main Stream Media)

For stuff that is general.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: Some of it (like the part from Romans) certainly read less like an earnest interpretation of the scriptures and more of an effort to provide a loophole for a conclusion they'd already reached.
Probably. People certainly like to wield scripture.
Vince wrote: Heard of a discussion between a Jew and a Christian that the first question would be, "is this your first trip down?"
Hah!
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by TheCatt »

Semirelevant to the hijacked discussion

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/fede ... -dk0v.html
Vince

The MSM

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: Semirelevant to the hijacked discussion

I don't disagree with a lot of what he wrote there. Obviously, the gender gap thing has been disproven to the point where it's a discrediting mark off the bat when it's brought up. My biggest problem is that he's laying blame with religion when it's more apparent that it was a cultural thing that also infected religion (otherwise why are all these different religions having issues with it?). In other words, to me it's like blaming architecture for slavery because slaves were used to build things.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote:
TheCatt wrote: Semirelevant to the hijacked discussion

I don't disagree with a lot of what he wrote there. Obviously, the gender gap thing has been disproven to the point where it's a discrediting mark off the bat when it's brought up. My biggest problem is that he's laying blame with religion when it's more apparent that it was a cultural thing that also infected religion (otherwise why are all these different religions having issues with it?). In other words, to me it's like blaming architecture for slavery because slaves were used to build things.
I mostly get your point... but if society changes, and the religious organization doesn't...
Vince

The MSM

Post by Vince »

Religious organizations are institutions. They always take longer to change. The more entrenched the issue at hand, the harder it is to change it. We still put up Christmas trees and most people have no clue as to why. Or carving pumpkins for Halloween. Not saying customs within the church shouldn't change, but I understand why it takes time. I'm not lumping in the changing of doctrine of the gospels, though. We don't get to change God's word because society has changed.
GORDON
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by GORDON »

My conception of the object of what the church is, is to try and stop change. They sort of have a system that worked, and was stable, for a long time. But then traditional marriage got challenged, and divorce got challenged, and the idea of parenthood out of wedlock challenge, and the perceived stability of 1800-1960 got shaken hard.

So, the church tries to stop change, to stop what they see as the rip in the fabric of society, that seemed to work for about 95% of the people. And now those social moors are gone, and it seems like the entire generation of Millennials is completely miserable and lost.

Not saying it's connected, not even saying it's wrong, but it's interesting to wonder if the dots connect.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Vince

The MSM

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote: So, the church tries to stop change, to stop what they see as the rip in the fabric of society, that seemed to work for about 95% of the people. And now those social moors are gone, and it seems like the entire generation of Millennials is completely miserable and lost.

Not saying it's connected, not even saying it's wrong, but it's interesting to wonder if the dots connect.
I've been thinking about that a lot lately as well. I think we have to have a sense of meaning and that what we do means something beyond ourselves.
Leisher
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Back on topic...

NYT runs a headline that pisses off Dems, so they changed it.

"Freedom of the Press"
I don't think the first headline was as accurate as the second, but I still find it odd they changed it.
Leisher
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:

"Freedom of the Press"
I don't think the first headline was as accurate as the second, but I still find it odd they changed it.
MSM changes stuff all the time, no worries. The fact they changed it due to pressure from Dems is what's concerning.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

The MSM

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote:

"Freedom of the Press"
I don't. Can we stop pretending they're the "paper of record" now?
Vince

The MSM

Post by Vince »

The framing of this is horrible.

Iraqi man dies after Trump administration deports him

You're almost halfway through the story before you get to this germane part...
An ICE spokesperson in Detroit said that Aldaoud had “an extensive criminal history“ that involved at least 20 convictions from 1998 to 2017, and had twice been ordered removed from the U.S.

The convictions included assault with a dangerous weapon, domestic violence, theft of personal property, and breaking and entering, according to ICE. A POLITICO search of court records showed Aldaoud served 17 months for a home invasion in 2013.
GORDON
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by GORDON »

The got damn Germans got nothing to do with it.
Vince

The MSM

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote: The got damn Germans got nothing to do with it.
LOL! That took me a second. A few actually :-)
GORDON
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by GORDON »

Vince wrote:
I.didnt think ANYONE would.get it.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote:
Vince wrote:
I.didnt think ANYONE would.get it.
That's not germane to the situation.
GORDON
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by GORDON »

But... who knows what movie that was a line from?
TheCatt
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: But... who knows what movie that was a line from?
I assume it was a Smokey + The Bandit, but I cannot tell you which one. Uh, the... second?
Vince

The MSM

Post by Vince »

CNN runs an article back in January about this poor illegal immigrant that had to resort to declaring sanctuary in a church because of the evil government shutdown and the evil crackdown on illegal immigration.

I wonder if they'll report the followup of this hero of the resistance killing a father of five on the highway?
Leisher
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: An ICE spokesperson in Detroit said that Aldaoud had “an extensive criminal history“ that involved at least 20 convictions from 1998 to 2017, and had twice been ordered removed from the U.S.

The convictions included assault with a dangerous weapon, domestic violence, theft of personal property, and breaking and entering, according to ICE. A POLITICO search of court records showed Aldaoud served 17 months for a home invasion in 2013.
Now why would a news organization bury this critical information? It's almost like they know most readers don't make it down that far in articles (that's a fact, look it up) and don't want the reader to know that part.
Vince wrote: I wonder if they'll report the followup of this hero of the resistance killing a father of five on the highway?
American lives don't matter.
TheCatt wrote: Smokey + The Bandit
https://youtu.be/mpVuOzFmrBE