The MSM (Main Stream Media)

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by GORDON »

If the reporter truly wants a better understanding of a thing, even with an agreement of discretion, then it makes sense. If the reporter wants something sensational and clickbaity, then "off the record" is a waste of time.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: If the reporter truly wants a better understanding of a thing, even with an agreement of discretion, then it makes sense. If the reporter wants something sensational and clickbaity, then "off the record" is a waste of time.
The article/book/news is literally about this person, we're not looking for a background source or anything.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by GORDON »

Meh. Always assume everyone is a piece of shit, and then at least sometimes you'll be pleasantly surprised when they aren't.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Meh. Always assume everyone is a piece of shit, and then at least sometimes you'll be pleasantly surprised when they aren't.
So Kavanaugh's a piece of shit for not going on the record? The reporters are pieces of shit for trying to get an interview with him?
GORDON
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by GORDON »

They all are. In this case, though, I think the reporters are the more recent pieces of shit.
Vince

The MSM

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: The article/book/news is literally about this person, we're not looking for a background source or anything.
People have been speaking to reporters off the record for decades. Even for books. It's not like this is some new phenomenon. Quite often a subject can make connections that are part of the public record, but not readily apparent. Like what I was saying about this "witness" to Kavanaugh exposing himself not bringing it up when Kavenaugh was working for Ken Starr and this "witness" was working for Bill Clinton during the whole Paula Jones thing.

It is also a good way to shield yourself from an apparent hit piece. These "reporters" have not appeared to act in good faith. If you want to try to get your info out but not give them ammo for a bad faith smear job, then asking to speak off the record is a smart move when dealing with a potential scum bag. Judging by the op ed that was already shot down by the news side of the NYT, I'd say he did the proper thing if he were to deal with these maggots at all.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: People have been speaking to reporters off the record for decades. Even for books. It's not like this is some new phenomenon.
That is a fact.

While it is a book about him, he might not want to speak on the record because:
1. He hasn't authorized the book.
2. He knows what slant they will take, which is "anti-him"
3. He doesn't want his words used against him, but he is willing to try and set the record straight on things.
4. He's not making any money off of a book about him.

Gordon and Vince are correct that, in this case, the writers are in the wrong. The fact that they refused to meet with him proves what their motivations for the book are, and it has nothing to do with the truth.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by TheCatt »

"No, this didn't happen"

Is that so hard?
Vince

The MSM

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote:Gordon and Vince are correct that, in this case, the writers are in the wrong. The fact that they refused to meet with him proves what their motivations for the book are, and it has nothing to do with the truth.
Which is why he was suspicious of them to begin with. Also, I find even the accusation that he would only agree to meet with them off the record suspect since that wasn't included in the book either. And they've already been shown to omit facts (like the alleged victim not remembering the incident). The book isn't even good to wipe your ass with as the pages aren't soft.
Leisher
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: "No, this didn't happen"

Is that so hard?
I'd like to remind you that one of the stories in the book was told by someone who also refused to be interviewed, wasn't the victim, and about an incident that no other witnesses including the victim can recall.

But yeah, they totally would have been unbiased in an interview with Kavanaugh and not tried to manipulate him or his words in any way.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

The MSM

Post by Vince »

Now they've changed their story to "it was a rep of Kavanaugh".

I've never seen so many reporters burn their reputations to the ground in such a short period of time compared to these last three years. It's been insane.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: Now they've changed their story to "it was a rep of Kavanaugh".

I've never seen so many reporters burn their reputations to the ground in such a short period of time compared to these last three years. It's been insane.
Ooof.
Vince

The MSM

Post by Vince »

Using Politifact to absolve a liberal is about as worthwhile as using the Muslim Brotherhood to condemn Israel. It's amazing that they somehow managed to shift the blame of the lack of integrity in the NYT story to PJ Media.
Vince

The MSM

Post by Vince »

Des Moines Register, Anheuser-Busch face backlash after Carson King news story fiasco

Guy goes viral with sign asking for beer money on game day. End up with so much money and attention that he decides to give the money to a local children's hospital (wanting to say he's raised over a million for them). Des Moines Register reporter decides to dig into the guy's social media and finds a couple of offensive tweets from eight years ago when the guy was 16. Now it turns out that the reporter that dug this garbage up is furiously deleting tweets and locked his own Twitter account after they've found some racist and homophobic tweets there.

It's true that in the future everyone will be famous for only 15 minutes. That's how long it now takes for the cancel culture to find something offensive in your past now.
GORDON
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by GORDON »

Ha! Blue on blue violence.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by TheCatt »

News flash: Teenagers do stupid things.
Vince

The MSM

Post by Vince »

I find it odd and more than a little disgusting that the newspaper said that doing a search of old social media on news subjects is routine, but apparently doing the same for new hires isn't?

I don't care much for Trump's rhetoric about the press, but they can go sit on a plunger with all the martyr talk about how they're attacked.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: I find it odd and more than a little disgusting that the newspaper said that doing a search of old social media on news subjects is routine, but apparently doing the same for new hires isn't?

I don't care much for Trump's rhetoric about the press, but they can go sit on a plunger with all the martyr talk about how they're attacked.
Maybe it wasn't routine 5 years ago when he started?
GORDON
Site Admin

The MSM

Post by GORDON »

I have never felt Trump was wrong about the press being out to get him.
Vince

The MSM

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: Maybe it wasn't routine 5 years ago when he started?
Maybe not. But at this point if an editor signs off on any article that's going after a private citizen's social media without checking the social media of that reporter, you should be fired.