Immigration

For stuff that is general.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Raids to begin Sunday.

It'd really be helpful if they would also publish a list of addresses they plan to raid...
The effort comes weeks after President Donald Trump had tweeted ICE's plans to conduct the raids, then delayed the operation after additional details became public. The President, adamant on doubling down on illegal immigration, has repeatedly tweeted about an impending operation, a striking move given that operations are not announced ahead of time.
I guess Trump didn't have that level of detail to tweet out.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by Leisher »

It all reminds me of this moment.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

Immigration

Post by Vince »

They should start impeachment hearings on SCOTUS over the census question ruling.

From the 14th Amendment.
Section 2. Representatives shall be apportioned among the several States according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each State, excluding Indians not taxed. But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the Executive and Judicial officers of a State, or the members of the Legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such State, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such State.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by GORDON »

Personally, I've enjoyed the FB meme for the last couple days that goes, "Democrats all said their health care plans included free health care for illegal immigrants, and are the same people who were going to penalize legal taxpayers for not getting health care. Let that soak in."

Or something like that.

Because the bold hypocrisy of it is gob-smacking. Knowing they won't lose their base over it highlights to the entire broken system, and provides strong evidence that people cannot be trusted with democracy.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: provides strong evidence that people cannot be trusted with democracy.
I'm starting to buy into this more and more, but how do you avoid corruption when a person(s) has total authority?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
GORDON wrote: provides strong evidence that people cannot be trusted with democracy.
I'm starting to buy into this more and more, but how do you avoid corruption when a person(s) has total authority?
You can't. "democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms"

The problem is that, if I remember my political science theory correctly, the governments that CAN be better (benevolent monarchy, benevolent oligarchy), have much worse potential downsides (dictator, malevolent oligarchy).
Leisher
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by Leisher »

Can't escape human nature.
Vince

Immigration

Post by Vince »

Armed man attacking Tacoma’s ICE detention center killed in officer-involved shooting

I wonder if the left will get the lectures from the press about dangerous rhetoric the way the right has been lectured for two years or nah?
Leisher
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by Leisher »

ICE raids didn't happen.

Maybe announcing them is actually their way of disrupting the lives of those here illegally without actually carrying out the raids? Kind of like warning shots?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: ICE raids didn't happen.

Maybe announcing them is actually their way of disrupting the lives of those here illegally without actually carrying out the raids? Kind of like warning shots?
"Oh, it happened!" - Trump
Leisher
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by Leisher »

Maybe he's drunk?
Vince

Immigration

Post by Vince »

GORDON
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by GORDON »

Normalization of vigilante justice through "punching Nazis" could not possibly have led to this, so don't even suggest it.
Vince

Immigration

Post by Vince »

IKR?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by TheCatt »

Vince

Immigration

Post by Vince »

I've always thought the flip side to that was interesting. Stating that the US is a terrible, sexist, racist, homophobic nation and that the compassionate thing to do is let these minorities remain in this toxic nation.
Leisher
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by Leisher »

Here's an interesting take:
A black co-worker this morning said out loud: "Democrats are pushing so hard for immigration because they've been losing the black vote, and they need to replace it."

Probably not completely off base.
Vince

Immigration

Post by Vince »

The embracing of the LGBT movement has hurt them with the black vote. Mayor Pete has the lowest support among blacks. Not sure that the Hispanic vote won't jump ship over the same issue once they get their papers.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Here's an interesting take:
A black co-worker this morning said out loud: "Democrats are pushing so hard for immigration because they've been losing the black vote, and they need to replace it."

Probably not completely off base.
Hillary got 88% of black vote, 65% of Asian, 65% of Hispanic, 37% of White. I'm not sure it's true. But 2012 Obama got 93% of the black vote, but I mean... that's not apples to apples.
GORDON
Site Admin

Immigration

Post by GORDON »

They keep voting for democrats, and they keep living in ghettos. Maybe they're beginning to notice.