2020 General Election Thread

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

It used to be that way... it was used a way to keep poors and minorities from voting. Also literacy tests, also land ownership (skin in the game) tests. All made illegal as racist.

And now it's called racist to require an ID to make sure you are who you are, when you vote.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-par ... ted_States

3rd parties exist, but even when Ross Perot got 19% of the popular vote, he got 0 electoral votes. You need critical mass of at least 40% of the popular vote to get the presidency. We don’t have parliament. There is no coalition government. There is 1 winner in each congressional district. It’s not like you vote across an entire state, and the top 10 make it.

The two parties have built a wall (see the debates, since 1987), which the D + Rs control. It takes a large amount of $$$ to get on ballots across the nation. There are several billionaires who can do it.

The presidential election is basically setup like a Hotelling problem: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotelling%27s_law

Any 3rd party who shows up, just takes pieces of those votes, they can’t get a majority.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: It used to be that way... it was used a way to keep poors and minorities from voting. Also literacy tests, also land ownership (skin in the game) tests. All made illegal as racist.

And now it's called racist to require an ID to make sure you are who you are, when you vote.
I think he means the issues test I post from time to time. Not other kinds of tests. And those have never been how you voted.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: And those have never been how you voted.
Literacy tests at polls: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literacy_test

One Drop Rule: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule

Landholder qualifications, and religious qualifications: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_ri ... ted_States

I like the land owner, and literacy ones.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote:
TheCatt wrote: And those have never been how you voted.
Literacy tests at polls: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literacy_test

One Drop Rule: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule

Landholder qualifications, and religious qualifications: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_ri ... ted_States

I like the land owner, and literacy ones.
You’re missing the point, I think. The test cake + I were talking about selects your candidate based on your actual political preferences for a variety of issues. Not qualification tests.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Ahhh. I htought the convo was other.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote:
TheCatt wrote:
TheCatt wrote: Facebook is showing me political ads, so I'm just clicking them all. Hopefully they pay per click, not impression.
The more I click, the more I get.

It looks like you can enter a donation of $0.01 to Trump. Considering it. I know they pay $0.30 in CC fees.
I got my first Jo Libertarian ad. Of the issues listed in the ad, I really only care about two: 1) ending the drug war and 2) the national debt.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Yeah, she's got a few items in her top 10 that make me wonder if the Libertarians have been watching the news.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Yeah, she's got a few items in her top 10 that make me wonder if the Libertarians have been watching the news.
I'd love to split off an alternate world where the Libertarians win, and let it run for 30 years to see what happens, but I'm not willing to do that IRL.

I remember being in Mexico in the 90s, with much more free market healthcare. I paid $10 for a doctor appt and $3 for medicine. I was like "HOLY FUCK! They're right! Free market!"

Then I remembered that was an entire day of the median salary in Mexico at the time in the area I was living.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Will probably feel relevant again in 3 months.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Biden passes cognition test.

This is cute, but it's depressing when you realize you could do this to both candidates and these are the fucking options.

In real news, Biden makes a statement about Latinos at
the expense of black people.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Trump released his campaign slogan.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I think I'm rooting for an alien invasion to save us from these two dipshits.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Troy

Post by Troy »

Hahah - suddenly Trump is an expert in race relations.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Professor who has correctly predicted every presidential election since 1984 picks Trump to lose.

Literally, in the first paragraph:
It's worth mentioning that in 2000, Lichtman predicted that Al Gore would win the election. Although Gore won the popular vote, he ultimately lost the presidency to George W. Bush after the Supreme Court ruled to stop the recount for Florida's electoral votes. Lichtman stands by validity of his prediction.
That's some quality reporting right there.

I have never incorrectly predicted the winner of the Super Bowl going back to 1980. Sure, the team I didn't pick has sometimes won, but those don't count.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

So he's saying that had SCOTUS not intervened, Gore still would have won? Honestly don't know, I just remember Florida as having been super close.
2,912,790 to 2,912,253

It's possible, he was right all along, among other issues.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Phrased another way: SCOTUS intervened in the florida recounts to make sure they didn't break the law.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher's candidate bitten by bat.

No word yet on whether or not this is the start of Covid-20