2020 General Election Thread

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: Meanwhile, Kamala Harris wants to bring back busing.

That'll end her campaign. People move to get them and their loved ones AWAY from bad situations and you want to bus their kids back into it? There's a reason busing failed miserably and was so unpopular.
Where I live kids are already bussed, so... where doesn't that happen?
Not sure if you're being a smart ass or not...

You understand riding the bus is different from "busing", right?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I've heard it still happens in some places.

I'd never send my kid to school in the inner city.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Not sure if you're being a smart ass or not...

No, I'm a fucking idiot.

Seriously. I grew up with bussing, and we still do bussing. yay! The Republicans briefly took control of the school board, reduced bussing, etc, and were voted out 2 years later, so the Democrats came back in and told us how evil we were and brought back bussing.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: Not sure if you're being a smart ass or not...

No, I'm a fucking idiot.

Seriously. I grew up with bussing, and we still do bussing. yay! The Republicans briefly took control of the school board, reduced bussing, etc, and were voted out 2 years later, so the Democrats came back in and told us how evil we were and brought back bussing.
I assume many people send their kids to private schools to avoid busing?

I had no idea any place was actually doing it. Do they make kids from the suburbs come to inner city schools or are the plans stopped by city lines?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I assume many people send their kids to private schools to avoid busing?
~20% of county residents opt out of public schools - private, parochial, or home school. No idea if that's high/low.
Leisher wrote: Do they make kids from the suburbs come to inner city schools or are the plans stopped by city lines?
We have a county-wide system, because a city-based one would be racist, we are told. That article is from when the Republicans took over.
To create economic diversity, Wake buses students out of their neighborhood zones, in extreme cases an hour away, and uses prestigious magnet schools to lure suburban children to struggling inner-city areas.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: ~20% of county residents opt out of public schools - private, parochial, or home school. No idea if that's high/low.
I would guess that's pretty high.
TheCatt wrote: We have a county-wide system, because a city-based one would be racist, we are told.
We're told a lot of shit to shame us into staying obedient.

It'd be interesting here. People in the different suburbs pay different taxes as the school systems are separate.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: We're told a lot of shit to shame us into staying obedient.

It'd be interesting here. People in the different suburbs pay different taxes as the school systems are separate.
A lot of people in the suburbs want a separate system (like most of the US has for towns/cities). But a) that's racist, and b) it would apparently jack up our property taxes since we largely rely on businesses in Raleigh to fund most things.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

People in our suburbs pay higher taxes and they're happy to do so. The city is a shit show.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: People in our suburbs pay higher taxes and they're happy to do so. The city is a shit show.
Racist.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

He shouldn't and this feels like a major course correction for him and the Democratic party. Seems like this is them realizing if they keep going left, they're going to lose. The article suggests AOC is hugely popular, and she is with the lunatics, but her approval ratings are dogshit. I've seen places where she polls lower than Trump.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

That's the problem with primaries, the party crazies can win.
Vince

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: That's the problem with primaries, the party crazies can win.
To some degree, this is always true. Twitter really exacerbates the issue on the left. I've seen the tracking where the right is far more engaging with ideas with the other side than the left is on Twitter. The left often blocks anyone from the right that disagrees with them. So they've created an echo chamber, which unfortunately the press is really tapped into and using as their barometer for the mood of the party. Twitter is not representative of the voters.

Has anyone seen head to head polling since the first debate against Trump? I was wondering if everyone offering free medical for the world if they can cross our border moved the needle. Makes me suspect that we're not seeing any head to head polls. You know they're being taken.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Vince

Post by Vince »

Vince wrote: Has anyone seen head to head polling since the first debate against Trump? I was wondering if everyone offering free medical for the world if they can cross our border moved the needle. Makes me suspect that we're not seeing any head to head polls. You know they're being taken.
CNN has announced their debate rules and in an effort to avoid another devastating image of every Democrat on stage agreeing that their health care plan would cover illegals, there will be no "raise your hand" questions to all of the candidates. Also, the head-to-head questions have been polled and now Trump is ahead of everyone except Biden. I don't think this will improve if they all keep tacking as far left as they are now.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I saw a thing that a candidate promised to get grr Martin to finish the GOT books to make up for the horrible tv season 8.

I don't even know what party he is... That's an issue i.care about and I'll vote for.him.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Troy

Post by Troy »

Homosexual Sharia Law proponent communists, obviously. It's right there in the platform.
Vince

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote: I saw a thing that a candidate promised to get grr Martin to finish the GOT books to make up for the horrible tv season 8.

I don't even know what party he is... That's an issue i.care about and I'll vote for.him.
I have not yet watched the series (wanted to wait until they finished), but I have a hard time feeling bad that he didn't care enough about the series to finish it before they finished it on TV. I refuse to care about someone's creative works more than they do.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Biden's tax returns 'ordinary'in terms of tax treatment.
But the Bidens' tax returns are actually quite ordinary in one important way. Like almost all middle-class Americans, the Bidens paid tax at the "ordinary income" tax rate, which applies to "ordinary" things like wages. The Bidens' recent income has come mainly from their salaries (Joe briefly held down a well-paid post as the Benjamin Franklin Presidential Practice Professor at the University of Pennsylvania), speaking fees and royalties from books, especially Biden's best-selling "Promise Me, Dad," about the last year of his son Beau's life.
These sources of income are all classified as "ordinary," subject to the highest marginal rates under the income tax.
Sorry, but that's not true.
Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden used a tax loophole that the Obama administration tried and failed to close, substantially lowering his tax bill.

Mr. Biden and his wife, Dr. Jill Biden, routed their book and speech income through S corporations, according to tax returns the couple released this week. They paid income taxes on those profits, but the strategy let the couple avoid the 3.8% self-employment tax they would have paid had they been compensated directly instead of through the S corporations.

The tax savings were as much as $500,000, compared to what the Bidens would have owed if paid directly or if the Obama proposal had become law.

“There’s no reason for these to be in an S corp—none, other than to save on self-employment tax,” said Tony Nitti, an accountant at RubinBrown LLP who reviewed the returns.
I believe in doing what you can under laws, but don't paint this as something normal people do, because they don't. Only the rich and nearly rich need to do this type of stuff.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Bidencare
I think public healthcare is inevitable given what a disaster it is.

So in a world of three choices: 1) Medicare for all, 2) Expanded ACA with public option (Biden's plan, Buttegieg's also), and 3) Whatever the fuck the Republicans are smoking... I'll take this plan for now.