2020 General Election Thread

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote:
Leisher wrote:
#1 I'd argue the Dems are much, much better at it and winning easily.
It helps when 90% of the press is helping you on that front. I was in Kroger a couple of weekends ago and the checker was telling me they are moving to paper bags as their default bagging method as a store policy. You know... because the press keeps telling us we need to save the turtles. I told him I was working in that exact Kroger 32 years ago when they went to plastic as the default bagging method because the press kept telling us we needed to save the trees and the landfills.
You are 100% correct. The MSM definitely makes their money by running around screaming that the sky is falling. Also, plastic bags/straws are such a drop in the bucket environmentally speaking.

However, I would have gone for a different example of the MSM being biased. Even if one doesn't buy into climate change, pollution sucks.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I think his.point was that the media decides what to report, and thus drives public perception, and then Kroger reverses a decision that they were told was.stupid a long time ago because "all intelligent people know this."

But it's the salesman, selling ads
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Vince

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: However, I would have gone for a different example of the MSM being biased. Even if one doesn't buy into climate change, pollution sucks.
I agree that pollution sucks. But I'd personally club a dozen baby seals to death if it meant banishing the paper straw out of existence.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Vince

Post by Vince »

In election news, Biden has dropped about 10 points, so he's pegging hard left. I don't think this will have the results he wants. I think what's been holding him in front are the moderate Democrats (not the Twitter Democrats). I think if he's going to be as radical as the other candidates, then he's going to lose his appeal to that group.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote:
Leisher wrote: However, I would have gone for a different example of the MSM being biased. Even if one doesn't buy into climate change, pollution sucks.
I agree that pollution sucks. But I'd personally club a dozen baby seals to death if it meant banishing the paper straw out of existence.
The first time my youngest daughter got one, she was so sad. She tends to chew on straws... and that immediately made it worthless.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Vince

Post by Vince »

I can't think of any metric in which the paper straw is a success, other than "it's not plastic". After about 5 minutes they are no longer able to perform their function. Just a horrible fail that I can't understand how they are still being made. Unless we're still using the original run.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: After about 5 minutes they are no longer able to perform their function.
That's just the biodegradable Ness getting a head start. "It recycles in your mouth, not in a landfill!"
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Stop making me worried about Trump losing, Democrats.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

SCOTUS rules gerrymandering is just fine, 5-4. Don't love this decision.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I'll vote for anyone speaking l33t.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

SCOTUS blocks citizenship question.

"For now", whatever that means.

This was important because asking someone's citizenship on an anonymous census was going to hurt minorities...
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: SCOTUS blocks citizenship question.

This was important because asking someone's citizenship on an anonymous census was going to hurt minorities...
Would have ruled the opposite on both cases today.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: SCOTUS blocks citizenship question.

This is where they should start impeachment proceedings. Thomas was exactly right. Their job is to determine if it's constitutional and within the purview of the agency in question. They agreed that it was yes to both questions. Their job was done at that point. SCOTUS doesn't get to set policy. I'm not happy about how much of the law making process congress has ceded to the Presidency, but that doesn't mean I want SCOTUS to decide that means they get to scoop it up.
Vince

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: SCOTUS rules gerrymandering is just fine, 5-4. Don't love this decision.
I don't like gerrymandering, but it's absolutely none of the federal government's business. If either party thinks it sucks, then they should win more. Republicans were bitching about it back in the 90's before Obama killed the Democrat party at the state level.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The candidates speaking in Spanish at the Dem debate last night is all you need to know about Dems' position on illegals.

They don't give a fuck about them, they want the votes.
Vince

Post by Vince »

It's not even so much the votes, I don't think. I heard that if they weed out the illegals, the Democrats would lose 9 house seats just in representation. The population shift for representation would cause states like CA with a huge illegal population to lose house members.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: I heard that if they weed out the illegals, the Democrats would lose 9 house seats just in representation. The population shift for representation would cause states like CA with a huge illegal population to lose house members.
And there's your reason for why they want the citizenship question off the census.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote:
TheCatt wrote: SCOTUS rules gerrymandering is just fine, 5-4. Don't love this decision.
I don't like gerrymandering, but it's absolutely none of the federal government's business. If either party thinks it sucks, then they should win more. Republicans were bitching about it back in the 90's before Obama killed the Democrat party at the state level.
The whole point of gerrymandering is....