The Democratic Party

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by Leisher »

Chelsea Clinton tweeted this:
For anyone who wonders what normalization of bigotry looks like, please look no further than Steve Bannon being invited by both @TheEconomist & @NewYorker to their respective events in #NYC a few weeks apart.
Some lady named Juanita Broaddrick replied with this:
I can’t believe your father, a rapist and sexual predator, is invited to speak at any event. Now that’s what I call normalizing the crimes of a sexual deviant.
As Gordon says, "Oh snap!"
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by Leisher »

Speaking of Aretha's funeral, her family is pissed at the pastor who eulogized her.

They said he had a negative agenda.

Here's one quote:
"If you choose to ask me today 'do Black Lives Matter?' let me answer like this: No, black lives do not matter. Black lives will not matter. Black lives ought not matter. Black lives should not matter, black lives must not matter until black people start respecting black lives and stop killing ourselves, black lives can never matter," he said.
Not really that negative... Then he starts to insult single mothers, and I could see that being offensive. I mean, yeah stats prove single moms aren't awesome for kids, but shit happens.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

The Democratic Party

Post by Vince »

Considering all the other crap going on with that service, not sure why that one preacher got the whack-a-mole treatment. They had Louis Farrakhan there. It's hard for anything being said not to class the joint up.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by Leisher »

Rahm Emmanuel won't seek re-election.

He gives some BS excuse, but let's be honest, he's done a terrible job just based on gun violence alone.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by TheCatt »

Jamie Dimon thinks he would beat Trump, but does not think he could make it out of the Democratic primaries.
Jamie Dimon said he could beat President Donald Trump in an election. Then he walked it back.
"I should not have said it," the JPMorgan Chase (JPM) CEO said in a statement. "I'm not running for President. Proves I wouldn't make a good politician. I get frustrated because I want all sides to come together to help solve big problems."

Earlier Wednesday, Dimon said he could take on the president and win. But he appeared to suggest he wouldn't survive the Democratic primaries.

"I think I could beat Trump," Dimon said at an event in New York on Wednesday, according to a transcript posted by CNBC. "I can't beat the liberal side of the Democratic Party."

He added: "I'm as tough as he is, I'm smarter than he is. I would be fine. He could punch me all he wants, it wouldn't work with me. I'd fight right back."

Dimon said that he used to believe a wealthy New Yorker couldn't be elected president, but ended up being "dead wrong."

"And by the way, this wealthy New Yorker actually earned his money," he said, referring to himself. "It wasn't a gift from Daddy."
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by TheCatt »

Republican lieutenant governor candidate Julie Killian says parents keep asking her why they are allowing child molesters into schools.

More than 30,000 sex offender parolees were pardoned by Cuomo back in May. Former prisoners are allowed to cast their ballots at schools, but only after 7 p.m.
I feel like Julie Killian's being a distorting piece of crap here.

I'm also torn on felons voting. On the one hand, I feel like some crimes are bad enough people should permanently lose some rights, on the other hand, rehabilitation, they served their time, etc.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: I feel like Julie Killian's being a distorting piece of crap here.
Like all of the horseshit thrown back and forth, she's absolutely distorting things, but there's enough truth to fit her bullshit.
TheCatt wrote: I'm also torn on felons voting. On the one hand, I feel like some crimes are bad enough people should permanently lose some rights, on the other hand, rehabilitation, they served their time, etc.
I have similar feelings. I think we should re-examine voting rights for non-violent offenders, but once you cross a line to hurt someone else, fuck you.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: but there's enough truth to fit her bullshit.
Barely. Not a lot of kids in school at 7pm.
Leisher wrote:
I have similar feelings. I think we should re-examine voting rights for non-violent offenders, but once you cross a line to hurt someone else, fuck you.
I think I mostly agree here.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Barely. Not a lot of kids in school at 7pm.
But there are kids. My kids are at school after 7 all the time. Swim, gymnastics, cross country, robotics, etc. Hell, my oldest daughter got home from Robotics last night at 9, and that practice started at 7.

There are churches EVERYWHERE, so I really don't see why we can't have folks go there to vote over schools. Just avoid the issue altogether.
Vince

The Democratic Party

Post by Vince »

As a recovering alcoholic, being in a bar could be a trigger even if there wasn't a drink poured in front of me.

Note: For the record, being in a bar isn't a trigger for me, just showing how it could be a problem even if the kids aren't there. And 7 PM is usually the closing time for the polls.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: And 7 PM is usually the closing time for the polls.
Must not be in NY if that's the only time they can vote.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by Leisher »

Had to head to school from my office yesterday. Took a route directly through the city, and specifically, a poor part of the city. Election signs everywhere. ALL for Democratic candidates.

A news crew should go in there and interview people.

"You've voted democrat your whole life?"
"Yes."
"What has changed in your life thanks to those votes?"
GORDON
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by GORDON »

Seems like campaign signs are wasted in neighborhoods like that. Some of those precincts go 104% D.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by Leisher »

Democrats still want to abolish the electoral college.

Do they simply not understand how it works or do they truly want to silence everyone who doesn't live in California and New York?
GORDON
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by GORDON »

They simply don't believe anyone else is intelligent enough to matter. "It's not like they're real people."
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by TheCatt »

Well, there's a 0 percent chance of getting rid of the electoral college.
Vince

The Democratic Party

Post by Vince »

I'd rather get rid of the 17th Amendment.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Democratic Party

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: I'd rather get rid of the 17th Amendment.
Getting rid of the Senate? Or how do you mean
Vince

The Democratic Party

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote:Getting rid of the Senate? Or how do you mean
Going back to them being appointed by the states. This was a brilliant idea from the founders. It provided another check against federal overreach. Plus I think it would be a moderating force against either party swinging too far to the left or right. Your senators would be more in line with the politics of your state's government rather than the national party.