The [s]First[/s] Only Trump term...so far

For stuff that is general.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: While I realize math is important and we use it every day, not a lot of people use anything more than basic algebra.
History is worthless garbage. I exaggerate, but about the only time I "use" history is when I'm watching Jeopardy.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

I would argue that doing 4 years in the military first is the #1 thing you can do for future success. If your shit is together well enough to get an honorable discharge, you're already more mature and seasoned than the typical 19 year old college freshman straight out of high school. Then the GI Bill is a shitload of money on top of it. If you're half-way smart, you'll get a 4-year degree with zero debt, without the need to work at the same time you pursue the degree.

Plus you'll be able to legally buy beer as a freshman. Your veteran ass will fuck at least 50% of the coeds at your school.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: would argue that doing 4 years in the military first is the #1 thing you can do for future success.
I'll disagree. But I could see how a large # of people would benefit from 1-2 years.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

Last I heard the post-911 GI Bill was about 1700/month, free and clear, as long as you were a full-time student in good standing. This is just a check they sent you every month. So... what... $20k per year. Add a Pell Grant and you're probably going to school debt free. I haven't heard of any other deals that good, aside from an elusive full sports scholarship.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Last I heard the post-911 GI Bill was about 1700/month, free and clear, as long as you were a full-time student in good standing. This is just a check they sent you every month. So... what... $20k per year. Add a Pell Grant and you're probably going to school debt free. I haven't heard of any other deals that good, aside from an elusive full sports scholarship.
My wife got paid to go to school. But she had strong academics + is a minority.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

We can't all be lucky enough to not be white!
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: We can't all be lucky enough to not be white!
Right? Due to our last name we're commonly confused for being Latino. My wife wants to lean into it so our kids' college doesn't cost as much.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: My wife wants to lean into it so our kids' college doesn't cost as much.
Lol. I dont know if our kids count as Hispanic or not. I mean, their mom is, but both kids have blue eyes and lightish skin.
Cakedaddy

The First Trump term.

Post by Cakedaddy »

What is the highest required math? I thought it was maybe geometry (which I think is very important and very applicable in day to day life). It's not calculus.

And yes, history is important so as not to repeat. . . but do we really need to know when the Ottoman's conquered Greece (if they did, who cares?). And also, history will ALWAYS repeat. Because people are stupid. Hell, the people that fought WWI grew up to start WWII because they'd do it better. I took German in high school because "If there's going to be a WWIII, it's probably going to be the Germans again".
Cakedaddy

The First Trump term.

Post by Cakedaddy »

TheCatt wrote:
GORDON wrote: would argue that doing 4 years in the military first is the #1 thing you can do for future success.
I'll disagree. But I could see how a large # of people would benefit from 1-2 years.
I was going to say 2 years is enough as well. You learn the most about yourself the first 6 months, then about life/politics/ethics/etc the next 18 months. By 24 months, you have learned more about life, and yourself than you would in 8 years of college. Because college doesn't teach you about the real world.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: What is the highest required math?
I think it varies from district to district. My daughter was doing algebra in middle school. Geometry is the step after that then calc. Or does trig come first?

I know that at UT business students have to take calc, and it's utterly ridiculous.
Cakedaddy wrote: I thought it was maybe geometry (which I think is very important and very applicable in day to day life).
I disagree. It's absolutely more commonly used than calc, but it's still not a majority of the population. And before you get smart assed about it, cutting a pizza doesn't count. I'm talking strictly using formulas and rules.
Cakedaddy wrote: And yes, history is important so as not to repeat. . . but do we really need to know when the Ottoman's conquered Greece (if they did, who cares?).
I was biased in my answer because I love history, but I would absolutely argue that it's far more important for someone to know the Ottomans conquered Greece (not necessarily when though) than functions in calc.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

I use a lot of geometry in carpentry.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

Most important thing about history is, "this shit WILL end, someday."

But whoever was right, in the end the mob always rules, and the mob is damned dumb.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: cutting a pizza doesn't count. I
This is why people buy 10" pizza instead of the much better 14" pizza deal.
Leisher wrote: but I would absolutely argue that it's far more important for someone to know the Ottomans conquered Greece (not necessarily when though) than functions in calc.
Going to disagree. Those calc functions impact your life very second. Understanding them helps.
Cakedaddy

The First Trump term.

Post by Cakedaddy »

Leisher wrote: My daughter was doing algebra in middle school. Geometry is the step after that then calc. Or does trig come first?
Back in my day, it was:
Algebra
Geometry
Algebra 2
Trig/functions/pre-calc (I combine these because some of the 'smarter' kids would take excelerated courses that would combine them)
Calculus
Calc 2 was the highest offered and maybe had one class filled.
Leisher wrote: And before you get smart assed about it, cutting a pizza doesn't count. I'm talking strictly using formulas and rules.
But, you are absolutely using formulas and rules when cutting a pizza. You may not be able to recite which mathematician proposed the theorem or the exact wording of it, but you are still using them. You've never had to figure out if a dinning room table would fit in your dining room? You've never done a home improvement where you had to figure out the best place to put something? Never tried to center a TV on a wall? Like it or not, that's all geometry. You might argue, "but that's all easy stuff and common sense". I would argue that ALL math is. Some people just don't try hard enough to see the 'harder' stuff. I would argue if you ever plan to do anything yourself (install floor tile in your bathroom. Put a fence in your back yard. Change your bathroom vanity), you better know some geometry, cause you're going to use it. But if you think most people don't do some of their own home improvements, we can kill math.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

My math order was the same as Cake's. As I understand it at our local schools, it's still like that, but they have Stats after Calc 2, and maybe Calc 3, not sure.
Cakedaddy

The First Trump term.

Post by Cakedaddy »

Leisher wrote: absolutely argue that it's far more important for someone to know the Ottomans conquered Greece
Why? When in my life have I needed, used, or was even unknowingly influenced by it? The average pizza guy may not know all the formulas and theorems involved with properly cutting a pizza, but they influenced the cutting of that pizza. Can't tell you how many times a customer requested their pizza be cut in squares, and our cooks could not produce evenly sized pieces. Also, if someone didn't show them "This is how you cut it into 6 slices", they would end up with 8 slices, or 6 very uneven slices.
Cakedaddy

The First Trump term.

Post by Cakedaddy »

TheCatt wrote: My math order was the same as Cake's. As I understand it at our local schools, it's still like that, but they have Stats after Calc 2, and maybe Calc 3, not sure.
I don't remember where stats fit in. It may have been a separate class you took outside the math classes, but had prerequisites. So you could be taking Calc and Stats at the same time or something.
Cakedaddy

The First Trump term.

Post by Cakedaddy »

Cakedaddy wrote:
Leisher wrote: absolutely argue that it's far more important for someone to know the Ottomans conquered Greece
Why? When in my life have I needed, used, or was even unknowingly influenced by it? The average pizza guy may not know all the formulas and theorems involved with properly cutting a pizza, but they influenced the cutting of that pizza. Can't tell you how many times a customer requested their pizza be cut in squares, and our cooks could not produce evenly sized pieces. Also, if someone didn't show them "This is how you cut it into 6 slices", they would end up with 8 slices, or 6 very uneven slices.
Also:

Customer: How big is the large?
Me: **thinking they wanted to compare value, dollars/amount of pizza** 14 inches
Customer: No, I mean how many slices?
Me: *in my head* why is that relevant?

Had MANY conversations with people "There's more pizza in a large because there's more slices". *sigh* "So if I cut a medium into 8 slices like we do the large we'd have the same amount of pizza?" "No, because the large is bigger." "AHHAAA!!!" MATH!
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFh8WS0s8UQ

- Most of America