The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

That is angry, violent rhetoric.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

John Lewis skipping civil rights museum opening because Trump will be there.

So instead of taking the opportunity to engage Trump and challenge him, you instead just decide not to go? Seems counterproductive.

I don't know. I get how he feels, and how he might believe going would show "support" for Trump. However, it's not often you get a chance to talk to the president and potentially get his ear.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

Trump campaign got Wikileaks hacked emails early.

Serious question: Why do we care? I'm not being flippant.

Wouldn't ANY candidate look at such documents? Do we really believe Hillary Clinton, who rigged the primaries and nobody gives a fuck, wouldn't have accepted the Wikileaks emails?

Why do we care so much if Trump or his campaign or Russians tried to influence the election, when we know FOR A FACT Hillary DID influence the election?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: Wouldn't ANY candidate look at such documents?
There was a time less than 20 years ago when our candidates had more character and class than they do now. And I realize I'm saying this about Al Gore.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

Vince has a really good point.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote:
Leisher wrote: Wouldn't ANY candidate look at such documents?
There was a time less than 20 years ago when our candidates had more character and class than they do now. And I realize I'm saying this about Al Gore.
That is a good story, but I wouldn't rush to anoint Gore's campaign as a paragon of virtue:
Democrats suggested Bush officials sent the materials as a dirty trick to embarrass Gore.
Remember, this was apparently the call of his campaign manager, not Gore himself. Gore, the world's first supervillain (as Gordon calls him), has gone on to have a very lucrative career as a speaker on man-made global warming. This is despite his own home using more power than most small cities and his documentary containing fabrications.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: Remember, this was apparently the call of his campaign manager, not Gore himself. Gore, the world's first supervillain (as Gordon calls him), has gone on to have a very lucrative career as a speaker on man-made global warming. This is despite his own home using more power than most small cities and his documentary containing fabrications.
I didn't think anyone was paying attention.

I stand by it, though.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: Remember, this was apparently the call of his campaign manager, not Gore himself.
Be that as it may, Trump's campaign manager didn't make the news by doing the same. Or anyone else involved in the Trump campaign.

The argument that "sure Trump's a piece of shit, but so is everyone else" isn't doing anything to make me like him any more. With all this excuse making on all sides, it's becoming really hard to make the argument that voting is a moral obligation. At least for the general elections.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: I didn't think anyone was paying attention.
I think it's genius.
Vince wrote: Be that as it may, Trump's campaign manager didn't make the news by doing the same. Or anyone else involved in the Trump campaign.
Oh I agree! Don't mistake my intent as defending Trump or his staff. Fuck them. Just pointing out how they're all alike.
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

Gloria Allred probably just got Moore elected.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

"Duh"

I don't like paying taxes, but this bill is just dumb. It will exacerbate inequality, increase the national debt, increase deficits, and basically gift a shit-ton of $ to the rich. yay! In the event of another recession, there will be less of a "let's cut taxes to spur growth" mechanism left.

As someone in the top 10%, the past couple of decades have been pretty good for me and my family. But I can't say I need a tax break in any way. Hell, I don't really even want one. I'd really rather see the US move towards more equality of opportunity (better healthcare, better primary education, etc). Also, I don't want the poors to riot.
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote:
"Duh"

I don't like paying taxes, but this bill is just dumb. It will exacerbate inequality, increase the national debt, increase deficits, and basically gift a shit-ton of $ to the rich. yay! In the event of another recession, there will be less of a "let's cut taxes to spur growth" mechanism left.
I'm loving the media's sudden concern about the debt. They were nowhere to be seen in the last 8 years on the subject, but thanks guys.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

I agree with both of you.

I think this tax bill is horrendous.

Meanwhile, the MSM sure did disappear on any deficit talk during Obama's presidency.
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

I've said for years we should do away with withholding and make everyone write a monthly check to the government the way we do our utility bill. Or give people the option for a yearly bill. Put a small charge on the monthly option. Everyone would be a deficit hawk at that point.
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

Jimmy Kimmel should return to something he knows about.

It's not like the WaPo is a right wing outfit.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: They were nowhere to be seen in the last 8 years on the subject, but thanks guys.
Complete agreement here.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

Rubio threatens a No on tax bill. Just need a few more to join him.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

I'm in! However, my vote means nothing.