The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

I'd buy that for a dollar.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Dems bringing dreamers as guests to SOTU.

I know this is mean, but if Trump had them all arrested and deported during his speech it might be the funniest thing ever.
I laughed.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

\And the government officials who brought them in/sheltered them, arrested.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

it should be in the hallowed halls of Congress
Not to be Malcolm: But *cough* bullshit *cough*
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

Trump signs order to keep Guantanamo Bay open.
The decision is a major reversal of his predecessor President Barack Obama's policy.
Uh...Obama promised to close it, then did nothing for 8 years. Not defending Trump, but can we not pretend this is some major shift in policy?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

Anyone have any SotU highlights? The right-wing reviews I've read say it was masterful, the left-wing reviewers are still crying and calling Trump the devil.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

Guess more money showed up.
GORDON wrote: Anyone have any SotU highlights? The right-wing reviews I've read say it was masterful, the left-wing reviewers are still crying and calling Trump the devil.
Ive heard... something about a wall, and immigrants kill people, and he wants to blow a bunch of $ on infrastructure.
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote: Anyone have any SotU highlights? The right-wing reviews I've read say it was masterful, the left-wing reviewers are still crying and calling Trump the devil.
As a conservative, it was a mixed bag. Not real big on the huge amounts of money he's wanting to spend on infrastructure.

Politically, I think this was a huge win for Trump if he can stay off Twitter for a couple of days. He announced he was offering a pathway to citizenship for all eligible "dreamers" (not just the ones that had signed up) and looked over at the Democrats and they all were sitting on their hands. The speech had some good moments. I think the Democrats hurt themselves as much or more than Trump helped himself with it. Flash polls showed even almost half of Democrats polled had a positive view of the speech.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Guess more money showed up.
I, and probably everyone else, had that same first thought. And that's really the problem with the court of public opinion.
TheCatt wrote: something about a wall, and immigrants kill people
I wish both of these talking points would go away.

1. We don't need a fucking wall and it'd be ineffective anyway.
2. There have been instances of ILLEGAL (that key word keeps getting drop by "unbiased" people) immigrants killing people, yes. However, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. In the eyes of the law, the illegal that kills someone and the illegal that works hard are the same. They are both here illegally. What they do here is irrelevant.

The illegal talk should be this simple: "You're here illegally. You either need citizenship or to leave."
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: 1. We don't need a fucking wall and it'd be ineffective anyway.
I have never really researched this. You're probably correct, but for myself and I think probably most of the people that want to enforce our immigration laws what is being heard when there is talk of a wall is "whatever it takes to secure the border". I think the guy that says he wants border security but wants to give amnesty and fights really hard against building the wall isn't going to really do anything to secure the border. The guy that builds a wall will go back and add whatever additional measures that are required if the wall alone doesn't do it. I think for most people it separates who is really interested in doing something and who isn't.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

I get what you're saying, but I don't think it's fair to judge someone based on their opposition to an expensive doomed project.

What exactly is a wall going to prevent? They dig tunnels. They already climb "unclimbable" fences. They've built subs. They get trafficked in through legit check points. They come in as migrant workers and never leave. They can, literally, blow a hole through any wall and it'd be weeks before someone found out.

Don't try to restrict access to the titty. Just sour the milk. That's where the money should be spent. Make it less attractive to come here. Stop making everything bilingual. Stop giving hand outs to illegals. Etc.
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: What exactly is a wall going to prevent? They dig tunnels. They already climb "unclimbable" fences. They've built subs. They get trafficked in through legit check points. They come in as migrant workers and never leave. They can, literally, blow a hole through any wall and it'd be weeks before someone found out.
True, but I consider it the same as having a car alarm or home security system. People are able to bypass those systems and do so all the time. But it deters 99% of the thieves.

I try not to judge all the people based on their opposition to the wall, but a large majority of the ones objecting are wanting citizenship for illegals and no border enforcement. So when I hear that stance I immediately am suspect of their motivations for it.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

Quincy Jones claims he used to date Ivanka. People from both sides of the aisle are viewing this with skepticism.

Adam Rippon bashes Pence. Pence asks to meet to talk. Rippon declines.

Posting this because it's such a great representation of what's wrong with partisan politics. Rippon bashes Pence, but when Pence says, "Hey, let's discuss it", Rippon declines. Compromise will never be found unless people are willing to talk. If you refuse to talk, you can't be shocked when your opponents come at you with force. Rippon does say perhaps after he competes (he's a figure skater...way to live up to the stereotype...) maybe he'll meet with Pence. I hope he does. If he doesn't fuck him for being a hypocrite.

Stalin...I mean Trump...wants a military parade and they're working on it.

What the? Why? What a waste of time and money.

In the biggest news of the day, A gust of wind does something to Trump's hair that natural hair shouldn't do...
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

California is going to block TRUMP OIL from entering their state.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN1FR2UY

NEVER TRUMP.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

Remember when Republicans were "the party of no" because they didn't rubber stamp everything Obama wanted?
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

It's ok when they do it.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

I don't know that this matters much, but I've come to realize that Trump doesn't read anything. Even when he comments on articles in the NYT or where ever it's almost always after they talked about said article on Fox and Friends or somewhere similar. I find it a little troubling that the man seemingly has no desire to learn anything and devoid of intellectual curiosity.