The [s]First[/s] Only Trump term...so far

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

None of those prices seem exorbitant for a high-end hotel suite.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: None of those prices seem exorbitant for a high-end hotel suite.
Fair point, but the question is "Is Trump making a profit when he goes to these places?"

However, what is the cost other presidents have occurred on their trips?

I think Trump is rightly being questioned here, but I'd also like to see if others did the same. Granted they don't own hotels, but if we pay for SS everywhere, is it really a huge deal if he happens to own hotels? I honestly don't know. It's unprecedented.

He should still back off the "I don't take a salary thing, either way."
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

The First Trump term.

Post by Cakedaddy »

They should also back off from his son saying SS stays for housekeeping costs only. $650 covers WAY more than housekeeping.

Did he stay at his own properties before becoming pres? Should he have to stop just cause SS is with him now? Should it be required that Hilton profit from SS instead of Trump because he's pres? A pres with scruples might. But as if one of those exists. NO ONE becomes pres simply because they want to help people. Hell, the fact that he's only charging normal (luxury) rates is impressive. How much do we pay for hammers and toilet seats? And WEBSITES!!!
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: They should also back off from his son saying SS stays for housekeeping costs only. $650 covers WAY more than housekeeping.
I guess those little bottles of shampoo are crazy expensive!
Cakedaddy wrote: Did he stay at his own properties before becoming pres? Should he have to stop just cause SS is with him now? Should it be required that Hilton profit from SS instead of Trump because he's pres?
If the next president owned Chick-Fil-A, should he be barred from ever eating Chick-Fil-A while in office? Again, this stuff is unprecedented.

Could become an issue again if Bloomberg wins.
Cakedaddy wrote: How much do we pay for hammers and toilet seats?
Do you know what the truth is behind those scandals?
Cakedaddy wrote: And WEBSITES!!!
I will never understand how a website cost that much to build. The final numbers were as close to what it should have cost as the epicenter of the Big Bang is to the Sun.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

Schumer wants witness retaliation investigated.

Like I have said before, whistleblower protection laws are a joke. They are apparently way too easy to circumvent.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote:
Cakedaddy wrote:
Cakedaddy wrote: And WEBSITES!!!
I will never understand how a website cost that much to build. The final numbers were as close to what it should have cost as the epicenter of the Big Bang is to the Sun.
Lots of people will still defend it and call you an idiot if you bring it up.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

In 3 years, Trump has nearly matched Obama's 8 year travel budget that Trump kept railing against. Unlike Obama, Trump just goes to his own properties.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Lots of people will still defend it and call you an idiot if you bring it up.
True. Sometimes I watch those videos on YouTube where a guy reads quotes from Trump to college students and they react only for him to reveal they were quotes from Dems. It's always hilarious to watch them backtrack, but I've been thinking about it more today. Those videos are proof of how deeply ingrained people's biases are, and how closed they are to any sort of compromise or admission that maybe, just maybe they or their favorite letter are wrong.
TheCatt wrote: In 3 years, Trump has nearly matched Obama's 8 year travel budget that Trump kept railing against.
His hypocrisy knows no bounds.
TheCatt wrote: Unlike Obama, Trump just goes to his own properties.
To be fair, Obama didn't own properties when he entered the White House. Hell, was he even a millionaire at that point? I know he was when he left...
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Hell, was he even a millionaire at that point?
He was, barely at $1.3M. Books and shit have pushed them over $20M
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

Sacred Indian burial grounds are being demolished for the border wall.

Or so the story claims. Seems to me zoning permits and whatnot have to filed first. Anyway, I really hope they moved the bodies and not just the headstones!
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

Trump wants to end student loan forgiveness programs.

I think I'm on board with this one...

I'm not in favor of making school tougher for people to get into or financially ruining those who have massive school debts.

However, I think this would be a step towards reigning in out of control school costs, and a step towards ending the ridiculous notion that one MUST go to college to succeed.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

People are getting crushed by student loans. They need to fix them on the start, not the end.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

They should forgive the loan if they also repo the degree it purchased.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: People are getting crushed by student loans. They need to fix them on the start, not the end.
Stop giving out guaranteed money and for whatever amount a student wants.
GORDON wrote: They should forgive the loan if they also repo the degree it purchased.
There is merit here. However, I think the government has caused most of the problem with the current college system. So I'm not sure there's justice in punishing people who fell into the trap.
Cakedaddy

The First Trump term.

Post by Cakedaddy »

Trap? I knew not to borrow a ton of money for school. I knew not to borrow a ton of money for ANYTHING I ever wanted. And I'm not buried in debt. This is just common sense. If you can't afford college, the world needs ditch diggers too.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: And I'm not buried in debt. This is just common sense. If you can't afford college, the world needs ditch diggers too.
Common sense is like AIDS.

Some are born with it while others have to get it pounded into them.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

What Catt said.

While you were raised to look out for the trap of debt, most people aren't. Instead of teaching basic household accounting in schools, we're teaching trigonometry that 99% of students will never use or even retain.

Plus, some people have shitty and/or missing parents. Not to mention every part of the corporate world is there trying very, very hard to get everyone into debt. Like 50% of the time when I'm checking out of any store I get asked if I have their credit card. It's funny that the various ranges of being a teenager means you can't smoke, drink, go to war, get married, have sex, etc., but you can usually sign up for life crippling debt!

Then there's the lie of college. At some point in our country's recent history college went from "additional schooling for the trades that needed it" to "you must go to college for ANY job". And what parent wants their kids to grow up to be a ditch digger? Then people started comparing colleges as if the name on the worthless piece of paper held additional value. Thus, people go into debt paying for college.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: While you were raised to look out for the trap of debt, most people aren't. Instead of teaching basic household accounting in schools, we're teaching trigonometry that 99% of students will never use or even retain.
Our state recently decided to add a financial literacy course, and will be reducing some amount of history being taught; So, now people are upset about the lack of history. Meanwhile, credit card + student loan debts are at record levels...
Leisher wrote: Then there's the lie of college. At some point in our country's recent history college went from "additional schooling for the trades that needed it" to "you must go to college for ANY job". And what parent wants their kids to grow up to be a ditch digger? Then people started comparing colleges as if the name on the worthless piece of paper held additional value. Thus, people go into debt paying for college.
I recent study that I don't have a link for said that "Working in college" was the most effective thing you could do during college for future success (5 year outcomes, salary, etc being measured).

Which makes you wonder why working 4 years isn't the most effective thing you can do instead of college?

Edit - a link: https://smlr.rutgers.edu/sites/default/ ... 012119.pdf not sure it's the one I was reading about.
we find that traditional-age students who worked for pay during college on average earned more after leaving college than similar students who did not work. This post-college earnings premium is on par with the benefit from completing a degree, even after controlling for demographic and academic achievement characteristics, and across various student sub-groups.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Our state recently decided to add a financial literacy course, and will be reducing some amount of history being taught; So, now people are upset about the lack of history. Meanwhile, credit card + student loan debts are at record levels...
"Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it." Why the fuck would they cut history and not the highest required math class? While I realize math is important and we use it every day, not a lot of people use anything more than basic algebra.

I couldn't agree more with the rest of your post. When I was fresh out of the service I saw a Fortune 500 magazine article where they interviewed the CEOs about college vs military, and military won by a fucking mile. Why? Because the military people already had the job training, knew what they were doing, were disciplined, this wouldn't be their "first job", and they knew how to give/take orders/instructions.

Why are we telling kids to spend a ridiculous amount of money for 4 years while getting no job experience and then maybe they'll get lucky and land an unpaid internship or an entry level job they're not even qualified/trained to have?