The [s]First[/s] Only Trump term...so far

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

Any chance she gets nominated to the Supreme Court? If so I can sign a statement claiming you told me this story, and thus, it's 100% factual.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Any chance she gets nominated to the Supreme Court? If so I can sign a statement claiming you told me this story, and thus, it's 100% factual.
I'm guessing there's a 0% anyone I know gets nominated to any court. I do know several lawyers, but they're either deeply corporate, or environmental lawyers. The woman in question organizes local music festivals now, so court seems pretty far-fetched.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: Any chance she gets nominated to the Supreme Court? If so I can sign a statement claiming you told me this story, and thus, it's 100% factual.
I'm guessing there's a 0% anyone I know gets nominated to any court. I do know several lawyers, but they're either deeply corporate, or environmental lawyers. The woman in question organizes local music festivals now, so court seems pretty far-fetched.
I mean, you get I was making a joke, right?

But maybe you can get some free tickets out of her!
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

The First Trump term.

Post by Cakedaddy »

Which artists are ok with being organized and set up by a rapist?
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I mean, you get I was making a joke, right?
I do...

I'm in a FB chatgroup with 3 guy friends from middle/high school. All 3 of them are lawyers. We were making fun of each other for things that happened in high school, and how none of us could ever be nominated for anything. Of course, one chimed in with "Well, if I've learned anything from these hearings, it's that everyone who knew me in high school must die."
Cakedaddy wrote: Which artists are ok with being organized and set up by a rapist?
Good question. She did post this the other day
Troy

The First Trump term.

Post by Troy »

It seems like trump actually made a middle of the aisle decision asking for the FBI investigation before continuing the nomination process.

But conspiracy theory: he did as a “fuck the FBI, let them take all the heat for what happens” type play. Not too dumb, really.
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

It's not an investigation. It's a targeted background check. They will get the sworn depositions again that have already been given and in 5 days or 7 days or 100 days we'll be exactly where we are right now. And not one Democrat will say, "Gee... there's no substantiating evidence to indicate his guilt. I guess I'll change my 'no' vote to a 'yes' now."

But hopefully we'll get an ethics investigation into who leaked the letter that Feinstein had. I'm sure she would ask for an ethics investigation to clear her and her office's name. Right? RIGHT?
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: In college, I went skinny dipping with a coed group of friends. We were drinking. It was dark (cuz it was nighttime).

One of my female friends reached out (under the water), grabbed my penis, and started stroking it. It took me several seconds to understand what was going on (I was buzzed). I said no, and moved away a few feet. She came closer, and started doing it again. I was more forceful about my denial, and moved away again. She came back and started doing it again.

I was louder, saying something to the effect of "STOP TOUCHING MY PENIS" louder enough so everyone could hear. They laughed (Hey, I'm Leisher). I dove away to the other side of the group. I think she stopped at that point.

It was awkward. But she and I continued to be friends for a few years, then drifted away after college. It was never awkward after that night. Nothing sexual ever happened again. I never felt threatened or ashamed. Maybe it's because I knew I could get away. Maybe since I'm a man and bigger + stronger than she was. Maybe it's because my genitals are external, and so no one forced themselves "inside" me. Maybe it's because I don't really care that much if people touch my junk. Fuck if I know. #metoo ?
So I told my wife this story for the first time. She was concerned, but I told her it didn't faze me. She understood. She told me her stories from college, they were about the same, at worse. Her "But I never felt like a victim. The guy did something, so I hit him in the balls, and he stopped." She bit another guy. She said it was more like a "miscommunication, where they needed something more than 'No'" (which, as an aside, 'No' should be enough). I said that was probably a good sense for what happened to me. I don't think my friend was being malicious in any way or even trying to 'take advantage of me,' I think she thought she was doing something nice, probably. As my wife said "It's not like many guys would have turned that down."

My wife's petite. I'm guessing situations could have ended up worse, but she never felt like a victim. She's a little surprised at how many people do.
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote:My wife's petite. I'm guessing situations could have ended up worse, but she never felt like a victim. She's a little surprised at how many people do.
Forgive me is I'm not remembering this correctly, but isn't your wife Hispanic?
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: but isn't your wife Hispanic?
Half. Yes.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

Oh, I did ask her if I needed to hunt down and kill anyone, and she said no. So 2018's another yet I get to stay out of jail.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

So far.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote:
Vince wrote: but isn't your wife Hispanic?
Half. Yes.
I wonder if the Hispanic culture and the machismo and general behavior of men towards women in that culture may have carried over to some extent for her. If maybe that's part of why it's easy for her to shrug it off when it's just boorish rather than violent?
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: I wonder if the Hispanic culture and the machismo and general behavior of men towards women in that culture may have carried over to some extent for her. If maybe that's part of why it's easy for her to shrug it off when it's just boorish rather than violent?
Unlikely, overall. She's not culturally very Hispanic. I used to joke that she was whiter than me since I'd spent so much time in Latin America. Her mom (Hispanic) was born in the states back when you were not supposed to be proud of your culture, etc, so she worked to be like all the other kids. My wife grew up in the midwest in pretty typical midwestern places (Peoria, IL, for example), college at Michigan State. She went to a Hispanic student group at MSU, and realized she did not fit in.

She did say she thought most every woman went through at least the types of things she went through, but she didn't consider those things to be assault. The more I think about what she told me, the more I'm proud she fought back, and didn't become a victim. I know other women are/were in much more difficult situations, so I'm not belittling them. But I am proud of her.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

On my old dating profile, line 1 was "No victims." So I guess your wife is in the pool of possibles.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: On my old dating profile, line 1 was "No victims." So I guess your wife is in the pool of possibles.
I'll let her know if something happens to me.

Do you ever get any vitriol from that line?
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

Never once.

But it was also a couple months ago. A simpler time.

If anyone ever addressed it, my response was.that one had to choose to be a permanent victim, and I wasn't interested in weak women.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

NAFTA replacement agreement reached.
Canada agreed late Sunday to sign on to a trade deal between the United States and Mexico, revamping the three-country North American Free Trade Agreement after more than a year of tortuous negotiations.

Just hours before a midnight deadline, the US and Canadian governments agreed to a deal that would allow US farmers greater access to Canada's dairy market and address concerns about potential US auto tariffs, officials from both countries said.
The agreement with Canada and Mexico — two of the United States' biggest trading partners — fulfills President Donald Trump's campaign pledge to renegotiate NAFTA and avoids his threat to exclude Canada if the talks failed.
The new deal has a new name: the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement.
I can't find anything good to detail what actually changes, other than we can sell more dairy products to Canada.

There's this:
"We have a level playing field with Canada and Mexico, and we have for the last quarter century that NAFTA has been in place," said Rosensweig of Emory University. "This changes nothing. It's just a political move."
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote:Unlikely, overall. She's not culturally very Hispanic. I used to joke that she was whiter than me since I'd spent so much time in Latin America. Her mom (Hispanic) was born in the states back when you were not supposed to be proud of your culture, etc, so she worked to be like all the other kids. My wife grew up in the midwest in pretty typical midwestern places (Peoria, IL, for example), college at Michigan State. She went to a Hispanic student group at MSU, and realized she did not fit in.

She did say she thought most every woman went through at least the types of things she went through, but she didn't consider those things to be assault. The more I think about what she told me, the more I'm proud she fought back, and didn't become a victim. I know other women are/were in much more difficult situations, so I'm not belittling them. But I am proud of her.
Cool. Thanks for sharing the info!
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

So I visited /r/libertarian today...