The [s]First[/s] Only Trump term...so far

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

Did that bakery go out of business?

Yes?

Then I guess it doesn't much matter, when the mob wants blood.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Troy

The First Trump term.

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: Did that bakery go out of business?

Yes?

Then I guess it doesn't much matter, when the mob wants blood.
I think that's a different bakery than the SCOTUS case.
http://masterpiececakes.com/
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

Oh, my bad. So it's still open?

Got to admit, case sounds identical.
Aaron and Melissa Klein abruptly announced the closure of their Gresham, Ore., bakery three and a half years after they ignited a firestorm by proudly refusing service to a same-sex couple.
Troy

The First Trump term.

Post by Troy »

I think so.

But for the one that closed - what are we mad about exactly? What'd the "mob" do?

"small business closes" is not exactly a conspiracy level event. "small business that refuses customers and gets bad pr" is even less so.

I can align myself to the idea of business making refusal decisions based on their beliefs. But are we supposed to what, subsidize these poor business decisions?
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: Of course not. That is a huge straw man. Check the "California" thread for thoughts on my view of the "oasis"
I know what your views are, and that you're not one who has blindly pledged allegiance to a letter.

Also, that wasn't a straw man. That phrase gets used way too much. That was frustration at one side constantly saying "Everything is the other side's fault" and never accepting any blame or acknowledging their mistakes.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

The First Trump term.

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote:
Troy wrote: Of course not. That is a huge straw man. Check the "California" thread for thoughts on my view of the "oasis"
Also, that wasn't a straw man. That phrase gets used way too much.
Really? "It's the right's fault" is the answer? Let me do a follow up: Is anything not their fault?
This is a strawman. You assigned me a position that I didn't take. In this case equating fault on one thing to fault on all things. Seems textbook, yeah?

Suddenly find myself defending why I think everything wrong is the right's fault. Derails the thread of argument.
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

Troy wrote: I think so.

But for the one that closed - what are we mad about exactly? What'd the "mob" do?

"small business closes" is not exactly a conspiracy level event. "small business that refuses customers and gets bad pr" is even less so.

I can align myself to the idea of business making refusal decisions based on their beliefs. But are we supposed to what, subsidize these poor business decisions?
Actually, it was claimed that the $130k fine was what put the Oregon store out of business. The up side is that the state business entity wrote their rules so widely that a 20 year old individual is now suing Walmart and Dick's for not selling him a long rifle. And he has a case.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Troy

The First Trump term.

Post by Troy »

Vince wrote:
Troy wrote: I think so.

Actually, it was claimed that the $130k fine was what put the Oregon store out of business. The up side is that the state business entity wrote their rules so widely that a 20 year old individual is now suing Walmart and Dick's for not selling him a long rifle. And he has a case.
Interesting. So not the "mob" but the government. I wonder how the SCOUTS ruling will effect the fine? Seems the cases are similar enough enough to rule it unlawful.
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

Troy wrote: Interesting. So not the "mob" but the government. I wonder how the SCOUTS ruling will effect the fine? Seems the cases are similar enough enough to rule it unlawful.
Not sure. Oregon might have been more even handed in their application. One of the things that hurt Colorado was that the same state entity that was ruling against the bakers was ruling in favor of the bakers that refused to decorate cakes with the passages from Leviticus in relation to homosexual activity. That goes back to the narrowness of the ruling. SCOTUS pretty much told them "You don't have to like them or even rule with them, but you can't pretend the first amendment doesn't mention religion". Not sure if it played into the ruling or not, but at the time of the incident that started the whole Masterpiece thing, gay marriage wasn't legal in CO anyway.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: This is a strawman. You assigned me a position that I didn't take. In this case equating fault on one thing to fault on all things. Seems textbook, yeah?
No because it wasn't my intent. People should stop looking for strawmen and starting looking into intent. The world would be a better place.

Having to defend myself from false intent really derailed the thread for me. :D
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

It's not me, it's someone else.
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

I think the most important part of that one was the court saying that you can't make arguments against policy based on tweets if the tweets aren't in the policy. That will impact a lot of these nuisance lawsuits.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by GORDON »

“In a democracy, of course, you always get a choice:
Do you want to be governed by the red or by the blue? It's entirely up to you.
Do you want to be patronized or condescended to by liars or by crooks? You get to choose.
Would you prefer your fundamental values to be insulted or ignored by con men or by charlatans?
In short, do you want your influence to be zero or nil?
And when would you like to be listened to, never or not at all?
It's your choice. Do you want some more choice?
Take it or leave it. Now there's a real choice.”
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

Restaurant owner who tossed Sanders "steps down" from city business post.

I'm guessing they allowed her to resign, but she was clearly forced out. I imagine a lot of the city's other businesses are facing blow back from pro-Trump businesses and people.
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: Restaurant owner who tossed Sanders "steps down" from city business post.

I'm guessing they allowed her to resign, but she was clearly forced out. I imagine a lot of the city's other businesses are facing blow back from pro-Trump businesses and people.
It didn't help that the restaurant across the street where Sanders' party ended up confirmed that the group followed her from the Red Hen to their restaurant and continued to harass her. So this well beyond their "right to refuse service".
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: It didn't help that the restaurant across the street where Sanders' party ended up confirmed that the group followed her from the Red Hen to their restaurant and continued to harass her. So this well beyond their "right to refuse service".
Do you have a link to that part of the story?
Vince

The First Trump term.

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote:
Vince wrote: It didn't help that the restaurant across the street where Sanders' party ended up confirmed that the group followed her from the Red Hen to their restaurant and continued to harass her. So this well beyond their "right to refuse service".
Do you have a link to that part of the story?
Here's the Fox clip. The guy from The Right Scoop queued it up to near the spot where the restaurant owner confirms Mike Huckabee's account, but they kind of missed the mark. Back it up further than his queue.

Edit: They were yelling from the sidewalk. Did not follow her into the building. However the point remains. Went beyond refusing service.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by Leisher »

Eh, it's FOX News, and therefore, won't be accepted by anyone left of center.

Backlash confirmed. The restaurant is closed.

She protected her "gay employees" by putting them out of work. Well done.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Trump term.

Post by TheCatt »

Remember when that conservative cookie place refused Biden? Man, the Trump tweets that day....

Restaurant is closed for a week, as far as I can tell.
It's not me, it's someone else.