Private School shit

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

Private School shit

Post by Leisher »

I think they have money for better instruments because they don't put any into the school.

That's part joke, mostly fact.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Private School shit

Post by GORDON »

So because of where I live, it's 35-40 minutes, 1 way, taking him to school. Which means 70-80 minutes round trip.

Twice a day.

City driving.

Which has given me a lot of practice on not getting angry at idiots when I drive. I sometimes fail... sometimes the idiots on the road (usually with Michigan license plates), just get to me... and the middle finger and f-bombs fly.

I think I learned a new trick, today. Stop thinking of the other cars on the road as other people, that I instinctively need to dominate... and really, that's where my frustration comes from. Someone else slowing me down, AND I NEED TO GET AROUND THEM. If I don't think of them as people... just shiny metal boxes along my path, perhaps giant, metal insects... suddenly I don't feel the need to get pissed off when they drive in such a manner to ensure we hit every red light on the road.

"Respecting other people as equals" has been my problem all along. Now I can start working on shedding that empathy, and find true peace.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Private School shit

Post by GORDON »

But anyone who drives with their handicap placard hanging from their read-view mirror... revoke their license, immediately. I haven't seen one yet whose handicap wasn't, "Is a retard while driving."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Private School shit

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: "Respecting other people as equals" has been my problem all along. Now I can start working on shedding that empathy, and find true peace.
I've been telling myself to "be a better Catt"
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Private School shit

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote:
GORDON wrote: "Respecting other people as equals" has been my problem all along. Now I can start working on shedding that empathy, and find true peace.
It doesn't work. Your well of patience will eventually run dry, because there is an infinite number of idiots out there drawing from it.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Private School shit

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote:
TheCatt wrote:
It doesn't work. Your well of patience will eventually run dry, because there is an infinite number of idiots out there drawing from it.
Well, the good news is that my commute is only 10 minutes each way. But I still have to do it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Private School shit

Post by Leisher »

I've always been very good at reading traffic and moving into the correct lanes. Knowing when to speed, when I didn't need to, who I needed to pass, etc. No idea if riding in a car with a cop for most of my formative years helped to develop those skills.

Anyway, I used to get very stressed during my drives. Like the aforementioned cop, I sped...a lot. Zipping in and out of traffic and just needing to be at my destination NOW.

There's a part of our local expressway that has become increasingly dangerous thanks to construction and a piss poor design. They, literally, reduced 60 MPH two lane traffic to one lane creating a bottle neck. To make matters worse, they increased the number of lanes leading up to this by an additional lane. So you have 4 lanes converging into 1. (Before you rack your brain...another lane breaks off into a different direction...a separate lane merges in after the bottleneck...one of the lanes heads into an exit right before the bottleneck...another lane ends right before the bottle neck.) It's a massive clusterfuck and it has resulted in an increased number of accidents.

So about a year ago I started driving more cautiously in that area after stressing out there on an almost daily basis. I realized I do not give a fuck, so why am I causing myself stress? If it's something I want to go to, I typically have left early, so I have time. If I'm going home, I don't have to be home this second, so why stress? I come late to work 15-60 minutes late daily because I'm salary and don't punch a clock. (Our workplace is about getting your work done, not what hours are you here.) Arriving someplace a few minutes later means, literally nothing, so why stress about it?

Podcasts help a ton too. Whatever you love to do or are interested in, you need to find a podcast for that and listen to them while you drive. It's life changing. Music just doesn't get the job done when you're not in the mood for it. (There's a podcast thread in the Movies forum if you need ideas.)
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

Private School shit

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote: It doesn't work. Your well of patience will eventually run dry, because there is an infinite number of idiots out there drawing from it.
*"like" button
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Private School shit

Post by GORDON »

Anyone know if Country Day schools are affiliated/connected? Could a student easily transfer between them?

The kid has been mentioning that he and I should move to Hawaii for year-round, warm water ocean diving. :-D
TheCatt
Site Admin

Private School shit

Post by TheCatt »

Hah. As far as I know, they are pretty much independent. Ours was in an accreditation group/athletic group, but all the entrance stuff was independent.

Hawaii aint cheap.
GORDON
Site Admin

Private School shit

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: Hah. As far as I know, they are pretty much independent. Ours was in an accreditation group/athletic group, but all the entrance stuff was independent.

Hawaii aint cheap.
Yeah. The books need to hit pretty hard for that to be on the table.
Leisher
Site Admin

Private School shit

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Hawaii aint cheap.
That is an understatement.

Although, on the positive side, I hear meth/opiods are so popular there they had to preempt programming on all networks one night to air a warning documentary. Because who doesn't need an escape from paradise?
GORDON
Site Admin

Private School shit

Post by GORDON »

Just now, at the piano recital. I'm just sitting here waiting for it to start.

Old.woman starts walking down my aisle, she wants to pass me. I smile at her, and adjust my long legs to the side.

She smiles back, "oh, you don't need to get up, I can slide by."

I smile back, being polite, "oh, it's ok, I know my long legs jut out."

She responds, "well that's your problem," as she goes by.

Damn. I got served.