England

For stuff that is general.
Vince

Re: Brexit

Post by Vince »

Leave - 51.46% with 166 of 382 reporting. I really expected it to start swinging towards "stay" as the count continued and (I would assume) larger population areas got counted.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Detroit always decides Michigan... has London been counted yet?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

It's barely 5am in London right now.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Yeah, and didn't they vote yesterday?
Troy

Post by Troy »

It was supposed to be done counting "by breakfast time" England time. So before I go to bed I think we'll know for sure.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

With 323 of 382 counting centers reporting results, the "leave" side is ahead by over 900,000 votes.
This would be a huge dick punch to Cameron. Pound went down 10%. Sweet.
The Betfair market predicted a 51 percent chance of Britain leaving the EU — the first time in the referendum campaign the option has become the favorite. Bookies' odds on Brexit also shortened to as short as 6-5. They had been 5-1 only hours earlier, as polls pointed to a "remain" win.
Oh shit, Ricky.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I don't really know they whys or wherefores or predictions of consequences for leaving, but good for them.

If Texas secedes I'm going to Texas. FYI.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Official. The margin is enough such that the remaining votes don't matter.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Does anyone know why this happened? I didn't even know it was happening until about 2 days ago.
Vince

Post by Vince »

There will be a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth from the progressives, but I'm glad to see this actually. It will hurt financially from them especially (all way around really) for the short term, but I remember hearing that about 90% of the countries' policies for EU members are implemented by the EU rather than the member nations. I suspect it's very much how those of us in fly over country feel about DC.

Dow futures are down over 500 points right now. Gold is up.

I was wondering about a Texit as well.
Does anyone know why this happened? I didn't even know it was happening until about 2 days ago.
I'm not sure of all the specifics. I know that the immigration policies set by the EU have not been well received at all. That's a big part of the recent dislike of it.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I was wondering if it was an immigration issue.

I kept hearing "they are all just ignorant racist fascists who dont like brown people" from the one side, and I am surprised that wasn't received as a persuasive argument from the "let's leave the EU" side.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Wow. Did not see that coming. Good thing I don't bet on this crap.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Vince

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote:I was wondering if it was an immigration issue.
Honestly, I think that's just the latest issue. Lack of sovereignty, bailing out other countries too lazy or scared to make hard choices, and then the proverbial straw of immigration.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:Does anyone know why this happened? I didn't even know it was happening until about 2 days ago.
I know all. This was something Cameron had been promising since 2012. In 2015, the Conservative Party (major get the fuck out of the EU proponents) won their general elections. The UK Independence Party, dudes so far to the right they make Conservos (Tories) look like commies, actually won a seat in Parliament. They're becoming increasingly popular/popularist.
Last edited by Malcolm on Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Malcolm wrote:
GORDON wrote:Does anyone know why this happened? I didn't even know it was happening until about 2 days ago.
I know all. This was something Cameron had been promising since 2012. In 2015, the Conservative Party (major get the fuck out of the EU proponents) won their general elections. The UK Independence Party, dudes so far to the right they make Convervos look like commies, actually won a seat in Parliament. They're becoming increasingly popular/popularist.
To further clarify: Cameron's a Conservative, and to mollify his own party he promised an independence vote. He thought it would fail.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

They should have been better prepared to find "oops these ballots were misplaced" like in the better American elections. I'm sure they wont make that mistake again.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I'm betting Scotland would give a year's worth of the finest haggis they've got for another go at that independence vote.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Malcolm wrote:
With 323 of 382 counting centers reporting results, the "leave" side is ahead by over 900,000 votes.
This would be a huge dick punch to Cameron.
Resignation.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

The EU, which rose out of the ashes of two world wars fascist and communist totalitarianism to unite a continent of prosperous democracies, faces economic and political damage without Britain, which has the EU's biggest financial centre, a U.N. Security Council veto, a powerful army and nuclear weapons.
That's a bit of a dishonest statement.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Yeah, I'm not entirely certain the impact of all this. What if England says OK, we're leaving, but let's have a free trade, open borders agreement? Or some such.