BTW i got chickens

For stuff that is general.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Re: BTW i got chickens

Post by TheCatt »

I've added eggs to my burgers. Not noticeable.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

On Napolean Dynomite... didn't they add egg to orange juice, or something?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I put one egg into 2 pounds of burg tonight. Burgs tasted fine. Will try 1 egg per pound next time.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

So there's there's been this Arby's commercial all over TV and radio, talking about their meat, how they possess a lot of it, and how big and plentiful it is, and how nobody would be dumb enough to open a chicken filet place.
I was really confused by that commercial. It was like an endorsement for Chick-Fil-A. It wasn't really a shot at them, or if it was intended to be it was really weak. And why attack Chick-Fil-A anyway? Just for your chicken sandwich? Seems silly.
I think my mom added an egg to hamburger meat for hamburger patties to help hold them together.
When making meatballs an egg is critical to help the ingredients hold together. I would assume burgers act the same, thus an egg is a natural addition.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

So far all is well. I kept them in the house for a few weeks, and they grew fast. During nice days 75F+ I let them be outside in a little temp-run I built, separate from the older hens.

This is a roost I built with a tree limb I'd cut the previous Fall, and never did anything with. Now chickens sit on it.

After a couple weeks of that it was time to start getting them acclimatized to being outside every night, before it got too cold... so even though temps were in the lower 60's some nights, I took a chance. Screened them under the hen house, but gave them a wind-break in the bin they'd been in on its side, and put the heat lamp in there. If they want heat, they have it, and if not, then they just go elsewhere. I still have all 6 chicks so I guess it worked.

And now once a week we have a bunch of eggs for dinner, and this is the night I made omelettes. A couple double-yolks in there.

About a week ago we put the younger and older chickens together... having them in sight of each other, but separate, went a long way to making the older ones more tolerant of the younger ones. They still squabble, but it's nothing violent, just normal pecking-order-business.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

BRHUcVSCIAEkTXk.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I got the roof put up one day before the big snowstorm, so I am sure the chickens appreciated that. It has been so cold that it hasn't melted yet.... unusual. Usually you get several snows and thaws before you settle into January and you're snowy until Spring.

The chickens have been fine in the freezing temps... they leave the hen house to eat and drink and sit on the perch for the day.

And speaking of which... I have to go change out their water several times a day because it freezes. They generate plenty of body heat, but for that they need lots of food. I don't understand the process, but for them to metabolize the food they need lots of water. And the goddam water freezes in cold temps... lame.

We're looking to be -1 without the wind chill tonight, I have their heat lamp set up in the hen house sitting on bricks so it doesn't get the bedding super hot. Hopefully it heats it up in there about 10 or 20 degrees. I think I have decided to rebuild the red pre-built part I purchased last year. It is just a quarter inch thick and there is no way to insulate it.

Or maybe build an entirely new enclosure around it. Hmmmm.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote:
So there's there's been this Arby's commercial all over TV and radio, talking about their meat, how they possess a lot of it, and how big and plentiful it is, and how nobody would be dumb enough to open a chicken filet place.
I was really confused by that commercial. It was like an endorsement for Chick-Fil-A. It wasn't really a shot at them, or if it was intended to be it was really weak. And why attack Chick-Fil-A anyway? Just for your chicken sandwich? Seems silly.
"Do you know why steak is the best meat Arby's has? It's because steak is the best meat Earth has."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Arby's doesn't have steak.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

They do according to the commercials I have been hearing. I haven't verified on my own.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

TheCatt wrote:Arby's doesn't have steak.
Nor do they have food.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Malcolm wrote:
TheCatt wrote:Arby's doesn't have steak.
Nor do they have food.
Says the guy who doesn't even eat food.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Still more palatable than anything from there.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Vince

Post by Vince »

Okay, one of our chickens is molting and apparently this is somewhat like a whole years worth of your wife's/girlfriend's hormonal shifts all at once. This chicken has been moody, pecking at my wife when she reaches in and staying away from the other chickens. When the rest of the flock is in the run, she's in the coop and vice versa. Today I was opening the door between the coop and the run and this crazy chicken comes bolting past me and jumps out of the coop to the outside. I'm able to grab her and get her back in, but she keeps making a run trying to get past me. Once she figures out she can't get out she gets into one of the lay boxes with her head down in the corner making an ungodly noise I can only describe as chicken wailing.

Chickens are damned weird animals.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Chicks man, amirite?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

It's 8 degrees outside.

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Yeah... took the dog out to poop this morning. Neither of us wanted to be out there.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Collected eggs this evening.

It looks like the skin of an erect penis.

Obviously my neighbor is a chicken fucker.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Did a turtle sneak into the coop?

We were down to 1 egg a day in the shortest days, but we are getting about 3 a day, now, including some practice eggs, which suggests some of the new batch of hens are coming online.
Vince

Post by Vince »

We had some 1 egg days, but most were 3 or 4. Now at 4 or 5. Cold days have been really inconsistent this winter so we'll have a cold day and the next day we only have 1 or 2 eggs (stess from the previous day throwing them off). For the most part, no big slow down though. Not as much as I'd expected.